SubDataSheets (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Yesterday, 20:06
adding on ... my understanding is that just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there! (by that, I mean being generated)
Hmm. I know from testing that opening the table takes longer than opening the form based on the query that uses the table. And, we're only talking about a table with ~1k records at this point. It's noticeably slower to open the table with subdatasheets enabled than it is without. I can't say I've noticed a difference on the forms.

At any rate, they're only enabled as a developer's tool and I don't plan on relying on them long-term. I'll do some searching to see if there's a consensus on whether they have any "lasting effects".

Last edited:

zeroaccess

Local time
You need to turn of AutoCorrect to get changes to stay though -- at least you used too. I always turn that off anyway, to avoid that can of worms too.
That's another thing that MS has since fixed (at least it seems). That feature saves me time and I haven't seen any of the bugs that Allen Browne wrote about.

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
That's another thing that MS has since fixed (at least it seems). That feature saves me time and I haven't seen any of the bugs that Allen Browne wrote about.

to each their own, zeroaccess. Its good to hear different perspectives and why they work for us.

Personally, I like to see the errors and change things myself. I have tools to help find problems. For instance, this one documents the SQL statements that are used in queries, forms, and reports. Each SQL statement is tested and if it can successfully open, records are counted too. Documentation is written to Microsoft Word.

Tool > Add-in > Document SQL, RecordSource, RowSource for Queries, Forms, and Reports
http://msaccessgurus.com/tool/Addin_DocumentSql.htm

FYI, I presented this quickly at the recent Access DevCon. It's an add-in, so it runs on whatever database you have open.

It used to be that if AutoCorrect wasn't off and Subdatasheet was set to None, the Subdatasheet change didn't stick -- you say that's no longer the case, but since I turn off AutoCorrect anyway, I didn't know that, so thanks.

Even though AutoCorrect can change Control Sources, it doesn't change the corresponding control Names -- and I like them to match when a control is bound. To the best of my knowledge, AutoCorrect also doesn't change VBA.

zeroaccess

Local time
Right, you still have to edit your VBA

Autocorrect's biggest help is with updating queries when renaming things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom