Svchost.exe error (1 Viewer)

koolguy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:23
HI!

Recently my system that runs on win 2003 O/S has started to show up an unusual error which is:

C:\Windows\svchost.exe not found

Can anyone help me deal with this?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Windows 2003 - so this is on a server right ?

There could be a number of reasons for this - it is happening all the time or intermittently ?

If it happens all the time it could be from a virus or virus removal that corrupted the file, I trust your anti-virus is up to date ;).

I would do a full scan of your system just to be sure then do a repair of Windows - boot with your disk in (make sure in the BIOS the DVD/CD is the first to boot from) follow the wizard until it detects your installation of Windows (NOTE: don't choose repair console) and select it and do the repair.

That will sort out any corrupted files. BTW That method is for XP and Windows 2000 my memory is a little hazy on 2003 but you should have that option.

EDIT: Oh just thought there may be a quicker way again memory a bit hazy on this but you could try this:

Go into the folder i386 located on c: (not the one in c:Windows) there should be a copy of the svchost.exe in there, copy and paste it into c:Windows\System32 et voila. NOTE: you will have to show hidden files and folders in explorer go to tools > folder options > view

But only do this if you sure your system is clean ;)

Last edited:

koolguy

Registered User.
Local time
hi again,

I did the windows repair but that didnt resolve the problem.Then I went to start up programs and disabled the C:\Windows\svchost.exe. it seems to have worked. I dont get any such warnings again. However I would like to know if I have done the right thing to stop the error message. Will the disabling of svchost.exe at start up, harm anyother process at the background or the usage of my system?

Also having looked at the Event viewer I found that each time I had a warning for svchost.exe an error mesage was generated in the events suggesting that the w32time (ntpclient [event id 8 & 13] has no time source of accurate time.)

Can you say me if this is what had caused the problem earlier?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Will the disabling of svchost.exe at start up, harm anyother process at the background or the usage of my system?

Yes it can it's a key process clicky

Also having looked at the Event viewer I found that each time I had a warning for svchost.exe an error mesage was generated in the events suggesting that the w32time (ntpclient [event id 8 & 13] has no time source of accurate time.)

Can you say me if this is what had caused the problem earlier?

Ah a clue this might be because your PC can find a valid time server, try turning it off in date and properties and Internet time or check the entry is correct. You should also turn off the service if you want but do you need it ? if so I would check the actual time server it might be down ? (if you want to test a valid server try time.windows.com)

I also found these links (refers to NT4 but might be of use)
clicky 1, clicky 2

koolguy

Registered User.
Local time
These links are quite informative but I think I managed to get rid of the error by copying the svchost.exe file from other location and pasting it under windows :).

anyways many thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom