Question Table format in long text field (1 Viewer)

wingcomputer

Local time
Today, 15:27
Hi everyone,

What i want to do is to put a "table" inside a long text field. The "table" is not the table in access, but could be the table in word file.

I tried the ole object; it works in form level; but not for report level, the ole object can't be displayed correctly; the "Size mode" option under the format option of ole object can't help.

I tried to convert the word table to plain text table; but this seems just too complicated.

Some like below is difficult to handle.
+----------+---------------+-------+
| Tables | Are | Cool |
| col 1 is | left-aligned | $1600 |
| col 2 is | centered | $12 |
| col 3 is | right-aligned | $1 |

So, what is the practice to put the Word table in Access's report?

* I search for hours for solution; but the "table" is confusing and can't find the relevant at all.

Any feedback welcome, thanks in advance.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 18:27
Access builds its own tables and reports.
It's not really meant to hold other app eclectic structures.
Store a picture of the 'table' or make it in access.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:27
The core issue in this problem is that Word is a word processor; Access is not. You cannot put advanced word-processing features into an Access native structure (a report, e.g.) and expect them to work correctly. The most advanced word processing action you can do with Access is to declare certain text-oriented controls to be .RTF rather than plain text. However, if you tried to create a table with Word and then convert the .DOCX to .RTF, you would find that the table formatting is lost, because tables are beyond the ability of .RTF documents to store and display.

Square peg, round hole. 'nuff said.

wingcomputer

Local time
Thanks for the feedback..

I keep trying to search for alternative but this seems no luck. the closest thing I found is to create a long text box, set auto grow and make it stacked layout with the ole object.

In the report review of the report; it works. However, once it changes to print preview, the ole object's height won't go with the long text box...

I am just curious, is there other database software can have the table format in report??

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:27
It is possible for you to have tabular-appearing formats in a detail section.

Have a section header for the detail that has text labels for the "columns." Then in the detail section, align the text boxes for the fields to have the same .Left and .Width as the corresponding column headers. If worst comes to worst, you can look at the property sheets for the individual text boxes and labels. You can then copy the .Left and .Width properties to absolutely assure that they line up. You can drag the .Top of each detail-section box to be flush with the top of the section, or you can manually set the .Top of each box to 0.

OK, now to make it look more tabular, make the .Bordercolor whatever you like and it will act like a table grid. You can even set .CanGrow to Yes if needed. (If one field grows, there is no guarantee that the other fields in the same row will also grow, so it might look a little ragged.)

wingcomputer

Local time
Thanks! the doc man, at least, this work around make the tabular appearing format possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom