Table Relationships (1 Viewer)

L

LGallardo

My first post- I'm not the best access user but learning! I am attempting to re-create a database created using Access 2000, while I have Access 97. I have have run into an issue with table relationships.
Question 1- Can I create relationships between multiple tables in 97, without establishing any primary keys? The instructions (they were written assuming you had access 2000) specifically request that no primary keys be set.

Question 2- Could there be another reason that I am unable to link tables in my 97 dba? I cannot establish any relationships at all. I have checked the data types,and field names etc. but still cannot link.

Any ideas? I would love some help on this one- Thanks!

LGallardo

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:21
I don't know what instructions you are talking about. Relationships can be created between tables that don't have primary keys but referential integrity cannot be enforced. Therefore, there is no point to creating relationships. It is VERY poor practice to create tables that do not have unique primary keys.

L

LGallardo

tble relationships

Sorry Pat- I was referring to at set of work instructions created by a former co-worker to work with this database. I've found several issues all ready with the database that I don't like either, but - boss says use it :confused: I'm trying to figure it out..
Thanks for the feedback Pat!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:21
If his instructions were to not define primary keys, I understand why he is a former co-worker.

L

LGallardo

LOL, So am I Pat! Nice guy, but...not sure of his logic in anything :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:21
I can understand the possibility that someone would say "don't create primary keys here" - meaning a specific table - if they knew that the table in question could not have primary keys (unless you counted autonumbers.)

Pat, I'm wondering if this is a case where LGallardo has two tables that need a linking table between them because there is a many-to-many case?

LGallardo, what kind of link are you trying to establish? If it is a many-to-many relationship, you can't do that directly - but it can be done indirectly. Perhaps you should explain just a little bit more about the tables you are trying to link.

As to why you can't establish links, one side of ALL Access relationships must be based on a unique item. I.e., Access does not support direct many-to-many relationships. Only one-to-one or one-to-many. If you tried to establish links between two tables that don't have primary keys, you are going to be stuck before you even get started. Because NEITHER such table could participate in a one-to-many relationship as-is. And the differences between AC97 and AC2K aren't significant in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom