table setup (1 Viewer)

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:43
Hi,

I am creating my main table of a database, and while i am planning the setup i am noticing that some of the fields are going to change often ... now i remember myself reading somewhere that ideally fields which have their data changed often should be created in a different table, and not within the table which the other fields data will remain somewhat static.

My question is this: since i am not interested to keep track of the previous values in these fields in a history table, is it ok if i bend the rules of normalization and go with creating the frequently changed and the fairly static fields all in the same table since they are all related the item?

Thanks

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. While I do understand that ideally rules should not be broken, kindly could someone advise me what are the main disadvantages of having fairly static fields and frequently changed fields in the same table.

Thanks

doco

Power User
Local time
Today, 15:43
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. While I do understand that ideally rules should not be broken, kindly could someone advise me what are the main disadvantages of having fairly static fields and frequently changed fields in the same table.

Thanks

When you say 'fields' do you mean the data in the fields or the actual fields themselves?

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi,

Yes I meant the value of the fields, and not the adding/deleting fields in the table.

Thanks

Local time
Today, 17:43
What are you trying to do?

I had not read that the number of updates had anything to do with normalization, and I know quite a bit about the topic. Though it is true that with properly normalized databases, some tables see more DML action than others.

What are you trying to do (v. 2.0)?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:43
The frequency of updates is not cause for splitting one table into two with a 1-1 relationship. In some cases, you might consider isolating memo fields because of their overhead but I wouldn't even do that unless you need some response time improvement.

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Thank you very much for your replies. It makes much better sense to me now.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom