Tally records in VBA (1 Viewer)

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:48
OK, currently I have a listbox which displays some results using an SQL query in the row source. In the list box i display records from a parent and child table. Therefor i'm getting duplicate information from the parent. (picture)

This is what i want for display purposes. But I want to be able to create a tally of all the students that came. In the example attached, You can see that for the first record, there are actually 3 parent records displayed each with 80 kids. but truely there was 80 in total... not 240.
I was hoping to run some VB code to tally the results in my list box, but adding the values in the column wont give me the results I want. Any Ideas? should I use a hidden list box with ONLY the parent records?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 101

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Nope. It's all one list box. I want to display the tally in a text box at the bottem of my form.. i'm thinking maybe a hidden list box???

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:48
Not sure about the textbox. When you say tally the results, what do you actually mean? Have you got a screenshot of how it currently looks?

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
The attachment in my first post is how it currently looks. I want to add up the student column.. but where i have...

I want 80+79 (which are the values in the SINGLE parent record) I don't want 80+80+80+79+79... ect.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Ok I was searching online and i'm wondering about a record set.
I think either VBA or SOS helped me with these in the past...
If i created a recordset would that work? record set and a hidden list box are sorta the same in a way are they not?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
In the context of what you're trying to do yes they would both achieve the same results. A recordset might be a quicker way, but this time, instead of adding up in the recordset, add up in the sql of the recordset.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
In the context of what you're trying to do yes they would both achieve the same results. A recordset might be a quicker way, but this time, instead of adding up in the recordset, add up in the sql of the recordset.

umm.. sounds easy enough...... :confused:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Like:
Code:
dim rst as DAO.Recordset

set rst = currentdb.openrecordset("SELECT Sum() AS SumOfRec FROM Table WHERE ...condition...")

functionToGetSum = rst!SumOfRec

rst.close
set rst = nothing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom