THE BIBLE (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:16
The books can be inside or outside history as you wish. However, if the events they describe cannot be corroborated then there is a problem in that you have an unsupported allegation and someone wants to base their actions on this unsupported allegation. AND they want you to base your own actions on their belief in an unsupported allegation. You can do as you choose - it is your life. However, do not expect me to act consistently with something in which I do not believe.

AND let me add that the Bible has some very good advice in it. My disbelief is limited to the "divinity" aspects of the Bible. As a behavioral guideline, lots of it make perfect sense. As a worship guideline? There, we part ways.
But they ARE corroborated. You just collected all the corroborations together and deemed them all to be related, & therefore non secular, and therefore non corroborating. that's my point that you missed in the previous post.

It's an interesting conglomeration of theories strung together that could make something not evidentiary but I just don't think it works

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
A very good point, Eugene. History is written by those who prevailed. What would the history of Israel look like if the Amalekites had won?
It would still be written, when the Egyptian pharaoh made Israelites slaves, it was written, when the 12 tribes were divided it was written, when Israelites made the golden calf, rebelled against God and Moses got angry it was written, and many more for us to learn from.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
The good news everything in the bible is true, the bad news is we misinterpreted who the creator is. Modern words had not been invented to describe what really happened
Some aspects of the Bible are better understood when one goes back to read it in the original language, e.g hebrew and greek.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
And before science, incomprehensible things like natural events of flood and drought would be explained by supernatural forces such as god or gods or whatever whatever tribe/culture decided.
Even as of today, there are still some events that science can not explain.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Some parts of history are better buried or destroyed so no one rediscovers the truth like maybe Atlantis
History's main lesson is that people would learn and not repeat mistakes or learn and copy heroes or villians. Also history is useful in letting people know their identity.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
If you don't believe in God, you don't believe in "the snake" either
Snake is easier to believe in since they can be seen, some who don't believe in God as depicted in the bible argue that some parts were wrongly written, e.g how can a snake talk to a human?

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
The Bible fails at least one test of historical accuracy in that Israeli archaeologists, who have a vested interest in being found as the "chosen people", could not find any validation to the presence of Hebrew slaves in Egypt.
How about prophecies said by Jesus that is coming to pass regularly in our time?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:16
Shall we talk of Nostradamus prophecies that are so vague that we cannot correlate them to reality because they literally would fit almost anything? Yet people believe them.

The books of the Bible corroborate each other but NOTHING ELSE DOES SO in that context! The stated reason that Joseph took Mary on a trip was due to a census - that NEVER OCCURRED. We have secular writings of the time and they DO NOT support that story.

Multitudes came from many countries to hear the sermons on the mount - but the meticulous bureaucrats of Rome didn't record such activity. (Not the sermons, but the migrations and border crossings.)

The laws of physics and the incompressibility of water make the Great Flood a serious problem. Can't justify it. That much water had to have gone somewhere but you require miraculous events to account for the trillions of gallons of water that must have been present. Yet you want me to say that prophecies from a questionable book are carried out based on history presented in another unsupported book?

You may believe as you wish. Don't expect me to believe in miracles.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
1. The Temple In Jerusalem Would Be Destroyed. Matthew 24:1,2

2. The People Would Be Scattered. Luk 21:24 KJV

3. The Holy Land Would Be Ruled By Gentiles. (Luke 21:24)

4. The people would not only be scattered, Jesus also predicted that the Jewish race would be persecuted. He said. (Luke 23:28-30).

5. Though scattered and persecuted, Jesus also predicted the Jewish people would not perish. Though the nation was to suffer terribly, Jesus made it clear they will still survive. They would be persecuted until the times of the Gentiles would be fulfilled. Once this period of Gentile rule was over, the Jews would again have self-rule. (Luke 21:24).

And i have not quoted from the Book of revelations which has several more, i have also not quoted from Matthew 28 or Mark 16.

I have in the over 40 years of my being on earth, practiced in time past Islam, and African traditional religion, so my acceptance of Jesus is not based on fables but infallible prooves.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 13:16
It's time for a little church in the cooler.

It's sad, those that don't know their own true nature and cannot have faith in things that are simply outside of their current understanding. It's like fleas that can jump high up and out of the jar, but because they believe there is a lid on the jar, they simply won't jump out. Things that are spiritual are way outside the boundaries of science and the physical world. That we are even living breathing beings that have been given a gift so great that we would refuse to acknowledge the giver of life itself. Do you not know that you have a soul. That's the part of you that reasons, judges, and also has limitations based how well your soul is operating. A soul that is damaged or otherwise in need of repair cannot function well without some help from the spirit. The spirit on the other hand has no such restrictions or bounds. It's not really a part of this world and can in some persons do what seems like or actually is a miracle. The spirit when allowed by the soul can do anything that God wants it to do.

Now you could be thinking in your physical world oriented mind right now with chest puffed out, thinking how superior you are to any thought of something existing outside of the physical universe that you can't define, see, or even come close to understanding, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There will be many that stay slaves to the flesh and never really taking the governor off of their soul and letting the spirit do great works. It's hard to appreciate something you can't see, can't talk to in the normal way due to willful desiring to disassociate from God or anything outside the physical world.

Some misguided folks think that the Brain is the central part of who they are as if that's what runs everything. Nope, that's just the computer, the physical hardware. That there computer doesn't do nothing you didn't tell it to do. And you are the non physical part that the bible calls the soul.

Soul -> Brain -> Body <- then the body responds. So the body is affected by what your soul demands or dictates. For those that become more aware of the spirt, there is a conflict between the body and the spirt. Just as described by Paul in the Bible. Heart and Soul in the old testament in Hebrew is exactly the same thing. In the new testament the heart kind of veered more towards the physical organ but it turns out that our soul is just as vital as is our physical heart is to the body.

Even God has a soul or how could he love us so much to have made more than the ultimate sacrifice.

Now the true enemy in all of this is discussed all throughout the bible and it is clear that the one main goal of the enemy is to get to your soul and render it useless. You're either moving towards God or away from him. The enemy wins when you won't even seek out for his guidance and stop communications.

As your soul prospers, so will the rest of your life will prosper. What you say and speak will have a great effect on what you do or can accomplish.

If there is good treasure in your soul, it brings good things. Good souls attract other good souls. Give and it shall be given unto you.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
When I was a teenager I hitchhike to the Huntington Beach pier to spend the day at the beach. I was sitting with my legs between the railing and my feet dangling over the water, a young man approached me with long hair back in the 70s, we called these people Jesus freaks. We talk for a while and he asked me if I was hungry? I said yes and we walk to a beach house a few blocks away. I remember getting a sandwich with peanut butter and jelly. There were a few people inside this beach house singing and acting very joyous. Out of the blue, the young man asked me if I wanted to accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior? I was thinking why not they were feeding me so I did, at that moment it felt like a lightning bolt passed through my body, everything was tingling and buzzing and I felt an overwhelming sensation to run out and convert as many people as I could as fast as I could. I asked the young man what was this sound I was hearing inside my head? He said it was the angels singing in celebration.

I can honestly say that was a life-changing experience. I attended a few meetings at Calvary Chapel with Pastor Chuck Smith but eventually backslid into my current state.

Faith is a funny thing because at that moment in time I had none, that changed forever by the time I left.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:16
Some misguided folks think that the Brain is the central part of who they are as if that's what runs everything. Nope, that's just the computer, the physical hardware. That there computer doesn't do nothing you didn't tell it to do. And you are the non physical part that the bible calls the soul.

Or perhaps we are not at all misguided. Perhaps it is that your body doesn't do anything the brain didn't tell it to. By saying that it is the soul that drives everything and that flees the body after death, you run into the problem that you have information that, per your definition of soul, exists without a carrier or matrix to support and sustain its organization.

The world around us has a certain logical orientation. Evolution can be seen as a logical progression of life, from oceanic or tidal-pool amoebae to strutting, jabbering, selfish Mankind. If you look at a biologist's Tree of Life, one that includes genetic information, you can see how we evolved genetically over the eons. You can see the biochemistry that makes us what we are. Those processes didn't occur overnight. They didn't occur within a span of 6400 years. They didn't occur within 100 centuries.

One very big problem is orientation of progression. People say Earth was made for us. Suppose, just for a moment, that Earth wasn't made for us. Suppose we evolved to fit the world we had. If you study astronomy, you can see the growth, progression, and death of stars including the violence of the nova or supernova. You can see evidence of the extreme formative event sometimes (inappropriately) called the Big Bang. You can see evidence of just how vicious the universe can be on planets that would kill an unprotected human in a matter of seconds. Even so, you can still find those who insist that Earth was made for us. The problem is, of course, that so much of the universe is hostile to life, and we have this one tiny speck in one insignificant corner of an incomprehensibly huge volume of space - but it was made for us. As Carl Sagan said in Contact, "it's a really big waste of space."

People talk about lack of fossils - but stop and think. MOST of the animals that would have left fossils got eaten, chewed down to the bone, with the bones then scavenged by burrowing insects, and all of them got crapped out of the predators in the food chain - where they would be totally unrecognizable. So why again do you think we should have all of the fossils?

People talk of the miracles in the Bible. But the stories in the Bible are self-serving. I assure you as an amateur writer of fantasy fiction that if I ever offer a prophecy in any of MY stories, the prophecy will come true - in the book. Outside the book? No guarantees. But to tell stories to children and NOT give them a "fulfilled prophecy" doesn't work for story-telling, because it would discredit the prophet - and the story-teller.

The story of Moses and the plagues of Egypt suffers from two major flaws. First, the total lack of evidence that Hebrew slaves ever WERE in Egypt, and second, the fact that you can explain every one of the plagues as a direct or indirect side-effect of a volcanic eruption in an area rich in iron ore.

The story of the Great Flood suffers from a couple of flaws as well. The Ark, if made out of wood, doesn't float. That person who built a life-sized replica of the Ark (Ark Encounter in Kentucky, USA) took 1000 craftsmen with modern power tools to construct something that Noah had to build with 8 people. Studies have shown that a wooden Ark would not succeed because the wood could not endure the pressures caused by floating - particularly during a rainstorm - where the flexible nature of the hull would splinter. The USA actually built a wooden boat much shorter than the Ark but found that flexing in oceanic waves damaged the hull. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_(schooner) for details of the history of this ill-fated ship.)

Another flaw in the flood is the volume of water to reach the tops of the mountains. When the floods receded, where did the water go? Then again, while the floods were in place, why didn't all life in Australia, North America, and South America drown? Yet a mere 6000 years later the explorers found continents teeming with life of all sizes and varieties.

I do not fault people for believing in the Bible, but with my doubts and my recognition of such facts, I think you can see that I will not be joining you in your beliefs.

EDITED to fix a word here and there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom