The Circular Logic of Today (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:14
As I travel I see many people with signs at intersections that say will work for food. A close friend owns a Fence company. He would pull up and say I have a fence job across the street. I will pay you cash to help me unload the truck. Never had one taker. The fools are the ones that give them money. Well, maybe it made them feel good for doing there good deed for the day,

Several times I've given people a couple bucks, the dollar bills are wrapped around a Narcotics Anonymous card that gives the 24-hour phone number on it for when people decide to ask for help. I always hope and pray the card keeps floating around their backpack until God draws them to where they need to be next. 🙏

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:14
Those beggars are very often running scams when they say "Lost Job, Please Help." There are many reasons to NOT support them.

The consensus I found when scanning several articles is "qualified NO." The qualification is "don't give them anything directly. Instead, donate to a a homeless shelter or charity specializing the aiding the homeless." Further discussion is that when you donate to a person directly, that person has no way to multiply the value of the dollars you give whereas a charity can do bulk food or clothing purchases at a discount and can then serve more people.

Just for the record, my wife and I support a local food-based charity that claims that with the power of bulk purchases, they can take a $1.00 donation and turn it into $15.50 equivalent retail purchases using the power of bulk/wholesale purchases (and also by omitting one or more layers of middlemen.) My wife investigated those folks and they are legit. In south Louisiana, we support Second Harvest. Can't speak to any other regional food bank system, but this one is pretty good, low overhead, and food is targeted to needy families and individuals. I'm guessing we add between 5% and 8% of our food purchases to feed others. (It varies depending in where we shop.)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
Several times I've given people a couple bucks, the dollar bills are wrapped around a Narcotics Anonymous card that gives the 24-hour phone number on it for when people decide to ask for help. I always hope and pray the card keeps floating around their backpack until God draws them to where they need to be next. 🙏
Very admirable l, I like it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thank you for recognizing that I'm not ALL bad, Adam.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
1654198642468.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And suddenly I've figured out that Wally (of Dilbert fame) sees himself as a marketeer. Does no work, always looks busy, and will give you any answer you wanted to hear. He works for the marketing department despite being around all those engineers!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Here is one that I used to drive my liberal acquaintances crazy.

Me: If you want to know if something is correct politically, just go see what Rush Limbaugh says, because he is correct 99% of the time.

Them: Who says Rush Limbaugh correct 99% of the time?

Me: Rush Limbaugh!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A ridiculously funny video. Allowing the sale of menthol cigarettes is racist since it causes cancer in Blacks (a protected class). Prohibiting the sale of menthol cigarettes is racist since it deprives Blacks (a protected class) of a product that they are entitled too. So, no matter what you do; you are a racist.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would love to hear some talking head try to make the audience think that two racist positions makes you a non-racist much like the way a double negative works🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom