The Reason for Christmas (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:46
Light For A Dark Christmas

It was like a dream come true. I'll tell ya', it was right after Christmas. I was in Manger Square in Bethlehem! Near the entrance to the Church of the Nativity, which is built over the cave believed to be the birthplace of the Son of God.

It felt like the whole town was a celebration. There were festive lights lining the streets and caroling choirs. There was a parade. And a dazzling Christmas tree on the square.

Not this Christmas. The birthplace of Christmas will be dark and deserted this Christmas.

Just like so many hearts.

I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You about "Light For A Dark Christmas."

You know the song says, "It's the most wonderful time of the year." Well it's not for everybody. The "joy to the world" only seems to amplify the sadness if your holiday heart is lonely or broken.

You've lost a loved one. A crumbling marriage. A wandering son or daughter. Maybe a life-upending diagnosis. It could be a shattered relationship. Or just a nameless darkness in your soul.

Strangely, when Jesus came that first Christmas, there were no lights, there were no parades - not even a room where He could be born. Rome had found another way to get more money from the already impoverished Jewish people. And the Son of God would come into the world in the filth and stench of a stable. And soon the little family, well they'd flee as refugees, when the evil king ordered the massacre of every Jewish baby boy under two.

Yes, it was pretty dark that first Christmas. And, in a way, it was dark all the way to that Good Friday 33 years later when Jesus would die alone on a Roman cross.

But for every heart that feels "dark and deserted" this Christmas, there is hope in that manger.

The Bible reveals what was really going on in that stable in John 1:4 and 5 - "In Him was life, the life was the Light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

You know we often hear that God is at the top of the mountain and all the religions of the world are ways to get to Him up there.

But Jesus didn't come to start or to be a religion. He was something no one had ever conceived of...

The God who came down from the mountain to where we are!

To be one of us. To bring God close. And, ultimately, to die for us. For the very sinning we've done against Him!

For ultimately, that darkness in our heart is the absence of the God we were made for. Our loneliness is cosmic loneliness. We're lonely for God. And our brokenness well, that's the damage done by a world of eight billion people who have defied His rule over their lives.

But since that "O holy night" in Bethlehem, millions have found the Light that is stronger than the darkness. A light inside you, that's not dependent on a flickering world around you.

It is a new beginning, and Jesus offered it in His liberating invitation. It's our word for the day from the Word of God in John 8:12.

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Imagine, every wrong thing you've ever done - forgiven. The broken pieces repaired and restored by His resurrection power. And finally, the end of lostness, the beginning of a life with eternal meaning.

And one unlosable love. For as the Bible says, "nothing in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:39). One love that will never desert you, never divorce you, never die on you.

You want this relationship with Him? It can begin today when you tell Him, "Jesus I'm Yours. I believe it was my sin You died for."

I hope you'll be sure you belong to Him as of today.

Somewhere today there is a heart that has just spent its last day "dark and deserted." Because today, the Light's coming in.

I pray that's you.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 02:46
The birthplace of Christmas will be dark and deserted this Christmas.
Western European Christians abandoned "The birthplace of Christmas" circa 636 A.D. Following WWI, Western Europe had an opportunity to reclaim the Middle East, but declined to do so. This appeasement trend continues. The recent attack by Hamas on Israel is an "in your face" moment highlighting this lamentable trend.

A somewhat random article pick below. The internet search had a hit on several similar articles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom