The US, Cognitively Challenged (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 23:34
At a certain point, an athlete reaches their apogee. At the apogee some athletes famously proclaim, with much self-congratulatory chest thumping, how they are the "greatest". But time (aging) takes it's toll and the athlete may be cognitively challenged to accept the inevitably of that decline. Nations, like the US, while not athletes also have their ups and downs. There is the old saying that "Rome did not fall in a day". The obviously US hasn't fallen; nevertheless, has the US peaked and is now in a state of decline?

The reason that this question is being asked is that Fox News reported on an episode of Bill Maher's program were Bill Maher pointed out that "China is eating our lunch".

The Fox News people were actually quite schizophrenic in evaluating Maher's monologue. On one hand, they acknowledged that there was a lot truth in Maher's comments. To paraphrase: when China proposes to build a dam, they build it. In the US we become consumed and paralyzed over the naming of something instead of doing it.

On the other hand, like the athlete at the peak of his/her career there was a lot of self-congratulatory chest thumbing by the Fox News panelists over how much better the US is than China. One of the Fox News commentators noted that China had 40,000 kilometers of high speed rail while the US had none. Another, commentator dismissed that as being meaningless since all he needed for transportation was his truck!!!

This is not meant as condemnation of Fox News, as the reaction of the Fox News staff mimics that of a lot of other people in the US who continue to proclaim "we are the greatest", but refusing to accept that the "turtle" is catching up to the US and may soon surpass the US if the US does not get "its act together". Currently the US is populated by leaders who are "silly people".

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I always liked Bill Maher. He leans left but up until he caught TDS, I always thought he took a rational view of the world and was just as likely to come down against something stupid the Democrats did as he was to bash Republicans. There are very few rational voices left on the left. I'm pretty sure they'll be trying to cancel Maher pretty soon. And he does make a great case for reelecting the Donald in 2024, he just doesn't realize it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 20:34
I always thought he took a rational view of the world and was just as likely to come down against something stupid the Democrats did as he was to bash Republicans. There are very few rational voices left on the left. I'm pretty sure they'll be trying to cancel Maher pretty soon
True
True
True
!

FrankRuperto

Local time
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom