These People vote? (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:26
Honestly, I think the hype is happening so much because we have so many political leaders who think it's not happening at all and are doing everything they can to block the issue getting addressed.

Unfortunately many of our political leaders are simply puppets of the fossil fuel industries.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:26
Climate change is not only real, I personally believe is cyclical. All the hand wringing and pearl clutching will not stop these natural cycles.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Climate change is not only real, I personally believe is cyclical. All the hand wringing and pearl clutching will not stop these natural cycles.

All the evidence points to these changes being caused by human emissions rather than as part of natural cycles.

The drivers of the cycles are quite well understood and most of them should be currently pushing the temperatures down. Nobody has come up with a mechanism that could explain why temperatures are rising other than greenhouse emission.

Moreover, in every one of dozens of climate models, removing the greenhouse emissions from the equations causes the climate to continue on as it had prior to 1950.

Unfortunately, like so may people, you have a bad case of Cognitive Dissonance on this subject.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:26
Unfortunately many of our political leaders are simply puppets of the fossil fuel industries.
For the vast majority of them, I think this is far closer to the truth than the idea that they genuinely believe it isn't happening.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
All the evidence points to these changes being caused by human emissions rather than as part of natural cycles.

The drivers of the cycles are quite well understood and most of them should be currently pushing the temperatures down. Nobody has come up with a mechanism that could explain why temperatures are rising other than greenhouse emission.

Moreover, in every one of dozens of climate models, removing the greenhouse emissions from the equations causes the climate to continue on as it had prior to 1950.

Unfortunately, like so may people, you have a bad case of Cognitive Dissonance on this subject.

Where do you get the time to be a junior scientist, practicing psychologist and not to mention a master Access programmer? Sheesh I barely have time to be a smartass and work full time.;)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Where do you get the time to be a junior scientist, practicing psychologist and not to mention a master Access programmer? Sheesh I barely have time to be a smartass and work full time.;)

That's disgusting, WORK FULL TIME

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For the vast majority of them, I think this is far closer to the truth than the idea that they genuinely believe it isn't happening.

In Australia, and probably many other countries, politicians often get appointed to the boards of mining companies once their political career wanes. It is payback for their compliance while in office.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
In Australia, and probably many other countries, politicians often get appointed to the boards of mining companies once their political career wanes. It is payback for their compliance while in office.
Yep, I think it's the same in most countries. People get into office seeing it as a stepping stone to getting a high-paying job later on.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
This article was written in 1997 for Nova by Kirk A. Maasch. It attempts to explain the natural cycles of the planet.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/cause-ice-age.html

It's an informative article for the layperson but:
1- it was written nearly 20 years ago and there's been a lot of study on climate change in the last 20 years;

2- the lack of any discussion about the relationship of human activity and climate is conspicuous by its absence. By neglecting any mention of it, the author seems to just be saying, well, planets will be planets. It's like talking about the Titanic and not mentioning icebergs. Ships sink sometimes. Always have, always will - sigh.

I can understand that the author wanted to keep the discussion from getting political - but not to include at least a paragraph about the threat to human society due to global climate change is ignoring the elephant in the room. The waves are already lapping at the heels of the people on the Marshall Islands, the Maldives, and pretty soon Miami Beach and NYC for God's sake. Anybody looking for some ocean front property in Arizona?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
2- the lack of any discussion about the relationship of human activity and climate is conspicuous by its absence.
Bingo that was my reason for posting it. The author is talking about a time pre industrial revolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom