Thread with an attachment - Would not post? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:45
I just posted a new thread with an attachment, but it would not post, is there a problem? The attachment was "zip" and it was under the size limit.

cheers Tony

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have just uploaded it again, and I got a brief glimpse of a message:

your thread has been uploaded, however if the moderator has selected ..........................

....... I couldn't read anymore it didn't hang around long enough! So I presume that there is some moderator facility in place now which operates when you upload attachments over a certain size. Would have been nice to have been told!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:45
We haven't been advised of any limits being enforced. Maybe you can try again and get a screen shot of the full error. It sounds like a generic error message of some sorts.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 08:45
Uncle Gizmo said:
I have just uploaded it again, and I got a brief glimpse of a message:

your thread has been uploaded, however if the moderator has selected ..........................

I got the same type of message when submitting a reply to a posted sample DB. I haven't posted anything in that particular forum before, so I thought maybe they just wanted to approve things before being posted there. Although, I was just replying to something, not uploading a new attachment on a new thread. :confused:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
More Info

Thanks Cindy,

Right, I successfully added a post to this thread with an attachment 147 kbytes, zip format.

After the success here I tried again in the "sample databases" forum with ZIP file attachment and it would not take.

I assumed that it was something to do with the zip file, so to test this assumption I just did a straightforward post, (no attachment) however I could not even make a basic new post Without any attachment.

I managed to grab a screen shot of this message (see JPEG attached)

Attachments

• Redirecting.JPG
    Redirecting.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 262

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
For clarity, I have made several unsuccessful attempts to post in the "sample database" Forum. However I can post here! You are reading it! I can up load files here also.

Why can't I post in the "sample database" forum?

Cheers Tony.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There is a considerable discrepancy between what is written there, and what I thought was written there! .... lol

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I guess I just assumed when I got that message earlier that they were moderating that forum a little more closely to keep people from posting "junk" DB's there, although I wasn't posting a DB, just replying to a message. I hadn't ever posted in that forum before though so didn't have a previous point of reference.

Hopefully they'll do something to the Access FAQ forum to keep people from asking questions in there! :D

Vassago

Local time
Sorry, didn't realize you wer posting in the sample databases section. Yes, there is restriction in the top three forums. Moderators have to approve all submissions there. This is the way it is supposed to be and the way it used to be before the hack a few months back and was never fixed. Now it has finally been fixed.

I have also approved your thread, so you should see it posted under that section now.

Last edited:

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Tony -

It gets worse! Just tried to post a response to an existing, pre-approved post and got the same error message you posted. Seems you can't even provide a comment without prior approval.

Bob

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
raskew said:
Tony -

It gets worse! Just tried to post a response to an existing, pre-approved post and got the same error message you posted. Seems you can't even provide a comment without prior approval.

Bob

You are right Bob, I have just responded to this post basically telling him to read what's in the thread! (it's all there if people bother) But I got redirected so I presume my comment is off to the moderator!

cheers Tony

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Now we could have an interesting game, see if we can send a post that is so obnoxious that the moderator Won't post it!

Mind you there might be a small risk of being banned!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Vassago said:
I have also approved your thread, so you should see it posted under that section now.

Thanks Vassago,
I should think it's a good idea, it will stop people posting requests for sample databases to help them with their homework!

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:45
Well I’m in the same boat at the moment but it’s only been 24 hours since trying to post in the Sample Database forum, so I’ll be patient.

Will this mean we cannot edit our accepted posts without moderator intervention? Spelling mistakes, improved description, bug fixes, updated versions??? This could cause a lot of work for the moderators and who's to say they will do it correctly for us. (Well I guess the moderators would but that doesn’t always happen. ;) )

So as a proposal…once a post has been accepted then the OP has automatic rights to maintain it.

A moderator could always PM the OP if they saw something they didn’t like. If no acceptable action is taken by the OP then the moderator could edit the post themselves.

Also, I could not see one so why not add a sticky at the top of each of those threads that explains the posting requirements?

Regards,
Chris.

Greyowlsl

Mlak Mlak
Local time
all i know is you cant have more than 13000 characters in a post

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
I don’t think that is the problem since I got the same message that Uncle_Gizmo did when trying to post to the Sample Database forum.

In any case it doesn’t matter since the version I uploaded has been improved.

The latest version can be found here.

Regards,
Chris.

Vassago

Local time
Greyowlsl said:
all i know is you cant have more than 13000 characters in a post

As we already stated, you can post there, but we have to approve it. It's not an error, but a feature.

Greyowlsl

Mlak Mlak
Local time
Vassago said:
As we already stated, you can post there, but we have to approve it. It's not an error, but a feature.

yea, no i think its good, any more than 13k chars in a post is just ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom