Time formatting... (1 Viewer)

QMDirk

Local time
Yesterday, 17:49
I have a form that tracks when the production line stops, and when it is restarted. A 3rd (calculated) field displays the difference. a 4th field Sums up all the downtime and displays the total in the footer. Everything was working fine, until I noticed that if the line stops before midnight, and restarts AFTER midnight, the answer box displays the value as a negative number. All the time-formats in my program are on 24-hour, or military time. So, a stop time of 23:30, with a restart time of 01:15, 1 hour and 30 minutes later, displays "-1350". (24 hours x 60 minutes = 1440 minutes; 1350 minutes + 90 minutes DT = 1440). I get why, but here's there problem.

the object names are: [Time Down], [Time Restart], [DTMinutes], and [Text24].

I started with this code: =DateDiff("n",[Time Restart],[Time Down])*-1 in [DTMinutes] to display the difference in times. It works, but shows a negative on any line when crossing midnight.
Then I used: =Sum(DateDiff("n",[Time Restart],[Time Down])*-1) in [Text24] to Sum the downtime in the footer. As long as none of the [Time Restart] values cross midnight, the individual times display correctly and so does the total. But, if any of the entries crosses midnight, [DTMinutes] goes negative on that line, and [Text24] goes negative and grows smaller since it is now subtracting the total downtime minutes from 24 hours (1440) instead of adding them.

So, I found this code:
=Format([StartTime] -1 -[EndTime], "Short Time")
This line solves the issue But now the answer displays in this format: hh:mm instead of just 'minutes' (shows 01:30, instead of 90).

Does anyone know how I can get my format back to display the difference, and total difference, in minutes ONLY and not hours AND minutes?
Thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Just curious, what happens if you try it this way?
Code:
=Format([StartTime] -1 -[EndTime], "nn")

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 19:49
Everything was working fine, until I noticed that if the line stops before midnight, and restarts AFTER midnight, the answer box displays the value as a negative number

Sounds like you aren't storing enough data. If something can span days, then you also need to store dates as well as time. It's a called a DateTime field for a reason--it can hold both. And when you do, there's no need for hacking negative numbers into something usable.

QMDirk

Local time
Hi. Just curious, what happens if you try it this way?
Code:
=Format([StartTime] -1 -[EndTime], "nn")
It shows the minutes correctly but drops the hour value. And 08:00 to 10:00 displays as 0 instead of 120.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It shows the minutes correctly but drops the hour value. And 08:00 to 10:00 displays as 0 instead of 120.
Sounds like you'll have to use some math then, or a function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom