Titanic sub (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:27
Very, very tragic. Especially discovering them an hour after their air ended.
Very upsetting.

Has anyone else been thinking this whole time, "why didn't they go to the area of the Titanic ruins FIRST instead of LAST ???"

They knew from very early on that it was quite likely the craft's automatic "rise to the top if you have a problem" feature didn't work. So why did they spend so much time on the surface??

It seems to me the most likely thing from the beginning was a problem near the Titanic ruins...and very sad that they go there at the end instead of the beginning.

But what do I know about submarines.. And apparently, the CEO of the sub company was in pretty much the same 'boat'........

Also upsetting to the families to hear that this CEO was one of these diversity/equity people who openly said he preferred to avoid hiring white people even if it meant people who were less expert. Wonder if the family still supports DEI hire handouts now.

And he bragged about using crappy materials too, it seemed.
Terribly sad that this didn't have to happen.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:27
lso upsetting to the families to hear that this CEO was one of these diversity/equity people who openly said he preferred to avoid hiring white people even if it meant people who were less expert. Wonder if the family still supports DEI hire handouts now.
Not a complete accurate quote from what I read, but close. He said he avoided hiring old-white ex-submariners because he didn't think perspective clients and other employees would connect with them. Stupid and exclusive, yes - not really in the same context of how you worded it...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:27
The fact that the sub had not sent out an SOS has from the beginning suggested some type of catastrophic failure. So, going to the ruins first would not have saved the passengers, it just would have found them sooner.

If a company promotes the fact that they hire based on DIE, I avoid them like the plague that they are. I support companies who hire the best rather than people who check boxes.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:27
The Titanic should be left in peace. It contains the souls of hundreds of people who perished. Any sub or robot craft should be banned within a 500 mile radius. It should be left to the ocean to deal with it.
If idiots go there, then get in trouble, that's their own fault, tough luck mate.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:27
Not a complete accurate quote from what I read, but close. He said he avoided hiring old-white ex-submariners because he didn't think perspective clients and other employees would connect with them. Stupid and exclusive, yes - not really in the same context of how you worded it...
Maybe he said that also, but I specifically read quotes from him that suggested that he deliberately chose people with less expertise because they were younger and more inspirational. And the quote about him saying he didn't want 50-year-old white guys on his crew is quite literally verbatim..

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:27
Has anyone else been thinking this whole time, "why didn't they go to the area of the Titanic ruins FIRST instead of LAST ???"
Because the equipment with the capacity to descend 4000 metres hadn't yet arrived.

The only probable scenario involving the passengers' survival was that it had automatically surfaced and was able to be found before the oxygen ran out. Hence the urgent search of the surface. Moreover, most likely any scenario that left them on the seabed meant they were already dead.

BTW Given the fact that being found on the surface in any survival situation was so important, painting the thing white was a very stupid decision, though clearly didn't matter on this occasion.

Cotswold

Local time
I was surprised that the hull was carbon fibre. Even though it was around 130mm thick I just wondered if it was the best material in this environment. On a boat or at sea everything needs to withstand far more than it would on land. Everything on water has a much shorter life that it would on land.

If anyone has a bike (cycle) with carbon forks they'll know that if they are in a crash the forks should be replaced. If the frame is carbon then for safety sake replace that. They can catastrophically fail in weeks or months. Even a scrape or damage on the surface can create a weak point. Carbon does not stand up well to bumps and scrapes. I've seen carbon forks and frames shatter into pieces. If you are knocked off your bike, you need to replace everything carbon as well as your helmet, which are also unsafe after just one knock. Charge it all to the driver of the vehicle the that knocked you off. Even replacing a helmet and forks will be the neck end of £500, so claim it against the vehicle insurance. You may look OK but you never are with carbon. Buy a titanium bike instead, with titanium or steel forks.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I wonder who is going to pay for the massive search/rescue mission involving many different countries. I'm fairly sure it's not free.
Col

Cotswold

Local time
I wonder who is going to pay for the massive search/rescue mission involving many different countries. I'm fairly sure it's not free.
Col
I think with something like this everyone just jumps in to help. It's all a bit of an almost amateurish automatic response. People will just want to be involved and help. A bit like they do in earthquakes etc. After all the politicians and bureaucrats are generally hopeless and unhelpful in these cases. Let's face it, in the case of the sub, the US Coastguard and his merry band didn't impress at all.

More of a problem is Ukraine. We're all continuing to throw in billions at this country which has little of its own resources, or much capability. Plus the latest military equipment is being given away, that will probably end up in the hands of the Russia and China. Will we see any of this money again? Let's face it, at the end of the day Britain is no more of a World Power than Holland, Italy or Argentina. Why do we get involved in world policing? Russia and China have the funds for this to go on for years. In WW1 we gave huge amounts of money to East European states and never received a penny back. It was financially disastrous to Britain at the time, from which we never really recovered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom