Training & Development (1 Viewer)

mous

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:59
I would be grateful if someone would take the time to read, give any useful advice, recommend any WM based training companies or point me in a starting direction, my head is ready to blow.

I have self-taught myself MS Access for 7 years now (bad I know) and from this have created several simple databases used by many staff in the College in which I work. They do include some basic programming.

These databases are extremely useful to staff but to be honest, they are at breaking point.

I have now been given the task of re-creating these databases in SQL and linking its data to Access / VB Applications / Web Front End (What's the difference?)

I'm toying with the idea of doing courses first of in:

1. SQL Database Design and Implementation
2. SQL Database Administration

but I'm hearing that I must do A+ / networking fundamentals first. Is this right?? Someone has even suggest the HNC course (do I really have time for this? - I'm talking within the next year or I must so have made some progress on converting these databases somehow and creating a least two forms / front ends for them.

I'm thinking I should also take:

3. An Access Developers Course
4. Visual Basic
5. Business Analysis/Project Management
6. HTML

I've been given a great opportunity here to further my career but haven't a clue where to start. Although I have bought the MS Press books (a while ago now), I'm afraid its not sinking in.

What is myPHP / mySQL / asp.net?

I do have resources available to me at work but without a definite starting point ....

Thanks for your time.
Dawn

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:59
myPHP is a free opensource web programming alanguage.

mySQL is a free opensource database.

ASP.Net is a web programming lanuage.

Forget HTML at this time.

Take a look at JAVA, NetBeans is an excellent widely used IDE for JAVA development.

Oracle is more widely used that SQL Server. Oracle and SQLServer both offer free "Express" editions for getting started. There are free and expensive tools galore for both.

Access 2007 is going to be great. I haven't had any problems with the A2007 Beta R2.
Asp, .Net and Oracle are your bet bets in my opinion.

I work for a Fortune 50 company which has a lot of inertia to stay with old technology; I',m sure that that's because of the significant cost of upgrading and training. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We're still using Windows NT, Access 2000 and an older version of Oracle, all in a "lock down environment." They're all very, very fast, stable and reliable.

My program Access programs daily search query 100's of millions of Oracle records. My local Access tables contain 0.5 million records.

The old rule of thumb that 50,000 records is a killer for Access, just isn't true with modern hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom