TransferDatabase Command without overwrite (1 Viewer)

Grandchester

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:17
Is there a way to utilize the TransferDatabase command as an Append instead of an overwrite?
Thanks

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
you're talking about importing, not exporting aren't you?

Don't know if there's a way to do it with TransferDatabase, all I do is import into a temporary table, append the records into the real table, then clear the temporary table with a delete query.

HTH

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Gurman (edited 01-26-2001).]

Grandchester

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply. Actually I have several users exporting their data simultaneously into one central database. The trouble is that each person overwrites what the previous person exported. I was wondering if you can append additional records as opposed to overwritting the data over and over. What do you think?

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
I think, in this case, what you need to do is link the table into each of the client applications and append records to it.

This works best if the shared table is in another Access database, other types of table might work, such as .dbf files or Exxcel spreadsheets, but there might be sharing violations with multiple links into non-Access files (some of this will also be determined by the file locking characteristics of your network)

HTH

Mike

Grandchester

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Mike. I kinda figured it would have to happen that way. I was trying to avaoid any sharing of databases between multiple useres. I have had problems with that in the past.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
The other option would be to give each user their own table and then join them together with a union query at the other end when you want all of the data in one table.

A union query isn't updatable though, so that might cause you another challenge.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom