Tree view (Flow chart) in a report (or form?) (1 Viewer)

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:37
We have a database and will have a "top" person who will have 7 people in his group. Each of his 7 will have 7 in theirs and so on.

I want to print a report that would show the groups as you would see the folders listed on a hard drive, or a family tree, or flow chart, etc. Any ideas? (I have tried to demonstrate what I want below)

Thanks!

Dave Shacket

Person 1
--Person Level 2
----Person Level 3
----Person Level 3
--Person Level 2
----Person Level 3
----Person Level 3
------Person Level 4
ETC.

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Build a report using grouping levels, if you have the wizard installed it should lead you through the process.

The thing to do is create yourself a query with all fields from all three tables(1,2,3rd levels.) If the wizard is installed it should allow you to set grouping levels.

Getting it to display as a tree diagram is just a matter of field positioning after that. I do believe there is a report format that might even do that for you!

Ian

shacket

Registered User.
Local time
Ian,

Thanks for your suggestion. Here are two variables I was not clear on:

1. All of the people are in the same table. What I DO have already done is the query stating which "circle" they are in (i.e. "1" for the top guy, "2" for the 7 in his group, "3" for the 49 in their groups, etc.)

2. I see what you are saying as being limited to the number of levels (i.e. programmed for however many levels I know now, but not automatically expanding for future levels).

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something in this.

Thanks!

Dave

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Sorry Dave,

I assumed that you had three tables one each level - I think that is what you probably need to do - what happens if there are eight people in a group iun future?

I suppose as a short term measure you could use queries to drag the data through - it might be easy to export the table to Excel and use the grouping levels there.

Just a suggestion.

Essentially I think you might need to redesign the table to create three 'level' tables each linked via a uniuq ref that associated with the person in the next level up.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom