Trouble printing sheet after copying to another workbook (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:53
When I print a worksheet in a workbook, the whole sheet is printed in one A4 size page.
If I drag and copy the same worksheet to a new workbook, the sheet prints on two A4 pages.

I've gone through all print preview settings of two workbooks, they have the exact same settings.
Why the sheet prints on multiple pages after being copied to a new workbook?

Is there anywhere else that causes this difference?
This is what I have on both workbooks.

2023-06-09_15-04-41.png

A sample file that shows the problem is attached.
Open test.xlsx and ctrl+p to print. You'll see it fits on a A4 page.
quit print. Add a new workbook. Drag and copy the sheet to new workbook.
Now when you ctrl+p the same sheet in new workbook, you'll see the last column is on a second page.

thanks.

Attachments

• test.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
Seems no one has a clue.
Hence cross posting to Mr.Excel forum.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:53
this is what I see when printing your files - and next to it when copied to a new workbook
1686411762787.png
1686411877190.png

so seems to me you need to set orientation and custom margins.

Edit - you may need to set print area as well

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
this is what I see when printing your files - and next to it when copied to a new workbook
View attachment 108360 View attachment 108361

so seems to me you need to set orientation and custom margins.

Edit - you may need to set print area as well
@CJ_London
When I drag & the drop the sheet to a new workbook, everything stays the same. Both orientation & margins are the same.
I've tested it a hundred times, and just to be sure, I tested it once again.

But it seems in your case they change.

What happens if you change the orientation and margins? Try to set the orientation to landscape and margins to 0 in your new workbook.
Does the sheet print on one page?

Thanks for your time and trying to help.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think difference is I copy pasted whole worksheet, not drag and drop.

This time I dragged the tab to a new workbook and get the same settings - and the same result.

In both cases the yellow column is on page 1, and the blue on page 2.. I presume on your machine you are getting both columns on page 1?

I set the print range A1:J24 and changed the scaling as below. Then drag dropped to a new workbook. This time I get both columns on page 1
1686416251397.png

KitaYama

Local time
I set the print range A1:J24 and changed the scaling as below. Then drag dropped to a new workbook. This time I get both columns on page 1
Yes, I'm aware of this. As it says in small font, it shrinks the page. It means that it changes the scaling. In fact if you actually print both sheets (from the source and target workbooks), cells and fonts of the new workbook are smaller than the source workbook. Because they are forced to be shrunk to fit in one page.
It still makes no sense to me why the source workbook prints the whole sheet with a 1:1 scaling on a single page, but after being copied to a new workbook, I have to change the scaling. There should be something different and unfortunately I can not find the difference.

Thanks again for your help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No it doesn’t, the last column (blue) is on page 2

Local time
Today, 14:53
I am unable to reproduce the behavior in either Excel 2016 or Excel 2021. Maybe it's a 365 thing, but any copy I make preserves the print size.

When I copy a worksheet I use only these methods:
  • If the copy must remain in the same workbook, I either Ctrl+Drag or use the Move or Copy option of the context menu, selecting Create new copy in the window that pops up.
  • If the copy must be in a different workbook, then I use the Move or Copy option of the context menu, selecting a new workbook in the window that pops up.

If I drag and copy the same worksheet to a new workbook
I don't know this method and I don't see an option to do it.

Local time
I tried opening two workbooks side by side and I dragged the test worksheet to the new workbook using Excel 2021 and 2016, still, print size was preserved. To discard the printer being the culprit, switch your default printer and see if that produces the same behavior on your end.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you open the file I uploaded and try to print it, isn't it fit to one page with No scaling (just like my image in #1)?
to be clear, this is what I see in your test file

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    56.1 KB · Views: 54

KitaYama

Local time
to be clear, this is what I see in your test file
Thanks. It means the last column is in page 2.
Maybe I have to live with this and simply use scale and shrink the contents. Though I hate it.

KitaYama

Local time
@561414 thanks for stepping in.
I’m actually copying the sheet from a workbook to another with VBA.
I mentioned drag and drop just because it showed the same effect and it’s much easier to test for those who want to help.

Your said the print size was preserved in your tests.
Did you use my sample file?
When you tried to print, was the setting set for no scale?

thank

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe I have to live with this and simply use scale and shrink the contents.
or reduce the column widths slightly. My printer does not print to edge, think there is a 4 or 5mm border, so setting your border width to 0 may work for you if your printer does print to edge (think the spec for your printer allows for borderless printing). which may be why the last column is on page 2 for me and not for you. But does not explain why your copied worksheet has that problem - but if this is for multiple users using different printers, even if you solve the problem on your equipment, doesn't mean others won't experience it.

Local time
Did you use my sample file?
When you tried to print, was the setting set for no scale?
I used the sample file you posted.
Untitled.png

Try changing your default printer and see if the new printer also cuts your print size. It is set for no scaling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom