Two yes/no boxes on same form, use one to populate other? (1 Viewer)

ChrisM

Local time
Today, 21:40
Hi,

I've been cobbling together a basic contact database for customers who require a catalogue CD from us.

As I've been on a level 1 Access course, my department decided I was our 'go-to' guy to build it :confused:

The table (contacts) contains all their address details and two yes/no boxes, one for if a CD is required (CD Requested) and the other for if a CD has been despatched (CD Sent)

The form has an action button for printing off all the address labels for people who have 'Yes' checked in CD Requested, based on a query that filters them out of the main table.

Once all the labels have been printed, is there a simple way, preferably via a seperate action button, to mark the CD Sent yes/no to Yes, but only where the CD Requested yes/no is also Yes? (obviously, if they didn't want one, I want to leave the Sent box blank)

Presently, only 65 people want the CD, so I could go through them all manually, but as this number increases, my willingness to do this vanishes...

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:40
Why two seperate boxed?? This sound more like a radio button than a yes/no box.

Also IF you want two boxes, why not leave the requested box on yes? Then you can see requested and send.

Mass updates of reported stuff (like this) is ussualy short work for an update query.
Though I would probably make a related table to store the date the CD was send to the Contact

Note:
table (Contact), does this mean your table name is actually contact?
Then changes are you have a query Contact and a form Contact as well. (or will have?)
It is advisable to prefix your names with the type they are, i.e. tblContact, qryContact, etc.

P.S.
Welcome to (one of ;)) the best access forum on the net :D

Good luck!

ChrisM

Local time
Why two seperate boxed?? This sound more like a radio button than a yes/no box.
Because I wasn't too sure what I was doing to be honest, and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Also IF you want two boxes, why not leave the requested box on yes? Then you can see requested and send.
The requested box is going to be left on yes, as it will make it easier next time we send the CDs out. Sorry, I probably could have explained it better in my original post.

Mass updates of reported stuff (like this) is ussualy short work for an update query.
*bangs head on desk*
I knew it would have had to be something simple like that.
Until then, I had never even heard of an update query (like I said, level 1 course was all the company would splash out on, I've learnt more myself in the past few weeks through trial and error than the course showed me....)

A quick Google later, and I'm almost embarassed at how simple it was.

Though I would probably make a related table to store the date the CD was send to the Contact
I did think of doing this, but instead chose to add a 'Notes' table that includes the date of the request, along with other messages.

Note:
table (Contact), does this mean your table name is actually contact?
Then changes are you have a query Contact and a form Contact as well. (or will have?)
It is advisable to prefix your names with the type they are, i.e. tblContact, qryContact, etc.
Noted.
To be honest, it's working now, and when I try to amend the 'simple' things stuff stops working, so I'll leave it be for now, but take your advice on any other database I create.

P.S.
Welcome to (one of ;)) the best access forum on the net :D

Good luck!
Thank you.
It's nice to have some decent advice on a forum, it's very much appreciated.

I'd been lurking for a week or so, and had found answers to a couple of issues I'd been having in some old threads, but decided to take the plunge and join.

Thanks for your help.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
A notes table is much like the related table I suggested, Good job... for a self convinced starter...

Happy to help point you in the right direction, I am glad you were able to take my pointer and google your way to a (easy) solution.

Having a naming convention (tblContacts and such) will help you in the future, really please please please for your own future sanity take and keep it in your heart

One last thing...
What happens if the contact requests another CD? Is that logged into your Notes table?
If not I would suggest making it so.

ChrisM

Local time
What happens if the contact requests another CD? Is that logged into your Notes table?
If not I would suggest making it so.
This database, or at least the CD side of it, is a once-a-year thing where we post a complimentary copy of our catalogue CD to the head of the IT department of each local education authority (the authorities (and various internal departments) themselves get a CD with each paper-based catalogue we send them by default)

This is just to make sure everyone who requests one gets a CD; if they want further copies, we have a seperate linked table for logging them (part of the Notes table)

The main database started out purely to keep the contact telephone and email details of the heads of IT and other people we deal with....it's grown since then, and I'm constantly tinkering and adding things to it, such as the CD addresses list purely so I didn't have to write out all the address labels by hand.

Access used to intimidate me greatly, but the more I mess around with it, the more I learn, and the more I realise there's usual an easy way of doing things...such as today.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Well not all is easy some things some times are real headaches....

I know first hand how fast a small database can grow, grow and eventually be business critical!

Sounds like you did a good job on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom