Udemy; Microsoft Access VBA for Non Programmers (1 Viewer)

LanaR

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:10
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question. If not (mods) please move it :)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any feed back on Udemy in general and in the above course specifically?

At AUD 19.99 (down from AUD 124.99 for the next 5 hours) I don't see a downside given that an in person training course at a local institution is asking AUD 1500 for a three-day course.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:10
In my very limited experience of having in-house training as an adult, I found it oppressive and uninspiring. I felt like the lessons were taking me through stuff I already knew, with the occasional gem discovered. So not a complete waste of time, but very near to it.

However I found a udemy type video training course Ideal.

See my comments here in another thread:-

I found the most useful thing about taking a video course was that I could watch the video at double speed, I could quickly and easily click through the video skipping out bits I already knew.

It's akin to having a superpower, or that magical remote control some guy uses in a film I saw a while back to skip through his life!

But really there's nothing better than having a project and completing a project. In one of my early escapades into MS Access built a search form. To my mind this is the most enjoyable way of learning access having your own pet project to do.

LanaR

Local time
Thanks, @Uncle Gizmo. I personally quite like face to face learning, even if you do go over stuff you might already be familiar.

I very much agree with you on the having a project approach.

I'm thinking that given the low cost of the Udemy course, I might just give it a whirl, as A) it's very inexpensive, so if it doesn't suit or live up to expectation, not a huge loss. B) the next in person course is my area is not until the end of August. So if Udemy does deliver then I've just save my self a cool fifteen hundred :)

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:10
In my very limited experience of having in-house training as an adult, I found it oppressive and uninspiring. I felt like the lessons were taking me through stuff I already knew, with the occasional gem discovered. So not a complete waste of time, but very near to it.

However I found a udemy type video training course Ideal.

See my comments here in another thread:-

I found the most useful thing about taking a video course was that I could watch the video at double speed, I could quickly and easily click through the video skipping out bits I already knew.

It's akin to having a superpower, or that magical remote control some guy uses in a film I saw a while back to skip through his life!

But really there's nothing better than having a project and completing a project. In one of my early escapades into MS Access built a search form. To my mind this is the most enjoyable way of learning access having your own pet project to do.

I could not agree more with this! The only real way to learn is to work on a project, a course is good if you're completely new to Access & VBA (as in, only know how to double click on the MS Access Icon).

Most of my learning actually came from reading/interacting on this site believe it or not. It's an absolute gold mine of threads and knowledgeable people who will go out of their way and take time out of their valuable days to reply to complete strangers on the internet. True legends.

GSTEEL320

Local time
Today, 07:10
I've signed up to a few Udemy courses now, which have all been of a high quality.

I'd agree that the content is incredibly broad, so I doubt very much that you'll fill in many knowledge gaps if you've been using and designing access databases for a few years.

I did use it as a good icebreaker for finally taking the plunge into SQL, which I found really helpful. I'll be doing the same with WordPress & Microsoft Dynamics shortly.

They have a significant number of free courses on their website, usually only an hour or so long, which I use regularly.

What I really like is the fact I can do it at my own pace, sometimes I can manage an hour, sometimes 5, depending .....

Also, the ability to redo chapters at will afterwards as a refresher , is a big bonus....

I'm tight though, I tend to buy the courses when they have their (frequent) "sales" on, so its excellent value for money, for the content covered ....

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 10:10
You can't go wrong with any of Bruce's courses. That's where i started, and i learned a ton from him. He is extreamely creative and is even working on an updated version of several of those popular courses.

LanaR

Local time
Just a quick update, I've been working through the course and am just over the halfway mark. So far I've found it really helpful in consolidating and expanding my knowledge (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom