Unbound Control Update Table (1 Viewer)

ggovensky

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:16
20 fields of points. Meaning 20 different controls Eval1-Eval20. I total up that and average all 20 together to come out with a TOTAL. The Total is where I am haveing problems. Here is the code. =(Sum([eval1])+nz([eval2])+nz([eval3])+nz([eval4])
+nz([eval5])+nz([eval6])+nz([eval7])+nz([eval8])+n
z([eval9])+nz([eval10])+nz([eval11])+nz([eval12])+
nz([eval13])+nz([eval14])+nz([eval15])+nz([eval16]
)+nz([eval17])+nz([eval18])+nz([eval19])+nz([eval2
0]))/[Items Evaluated Value]

The Items Evaluted Value is just a text box that a user would put that he/she only and devide the total amount. I just bacally need to have the Total Field link somehow back to the table so any changes I make to the form it would also change in the table. Thanks a bunch!!

ggovensky

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there, hope anyone can help. I have a Form with Sum Total adding 20 fields together but I need to update the table. How would I go about haveing a unbound control updateing a table when the data is begin pulled from a query. (Query is the same as the table) Thanks alot.

George

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:16
I think you need to normalise your data.

Youe 'eval' fields should read as DATA and NOT columns...

e.g.

Have a field NAMED POINTS and simply add each value as an individual row of data....

It makes totalling them a LOT easier. You could use a totals query that requires no coding at all.

ggovensky

Registered User.
Local time
Well, I understand what you are saying but this database needs to have the fuctionality to change the data really quick. Each EVAL is different from the last Eval. The Evals can have 0,1,2,3,4,and 5 only. They are fields. Actually the Points is a Average field that dose not use the AVG() cause of the zero possible values. That is why I made the Evaluated Field to diviede by that number. Still cant get the Total (or points) field to update the table when the data is inputted into the Evaluated Field.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Your argument for not normalising is spurious. You're doing it wrong!

However, looking at your formula, I don't understand why you have Sum() in there. Try taking that out.

ggovensky

Registered User.
Local time
Can I send you the database neileg and kevin? Maybe then you will see how it is built and to not have it normilized. Although I would say I am no expect at Access just a novice user.

Thanks so much.:p

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, i only deal in 'normalised dbs'.
Anything else is 'foreign' to me. :)

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't think I was volunteering to normalise your database!

If you are convinced it is the right way to go, and it works for you, then so be it. I will confess to having written a very non-normalised database that is still in constant use, 'cos it works. I just wouldn't do it again.

You can post your database here. Make sure you delete most of the data, remove any embedded graphics and compact it, then create a zip file and attach it to a posting. Maybe someone will take a look

Has my suggestion of a fix for your calculation worked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom