Unwanted Enter Parameter Value Box (1 Viewer)

Linda1503

Local time
Today, 11:22
iPads are pretty useless in a Windows environment. a Surface pro would be significantly more useful

Yep.

The Type and SubType tables have no relationship to each other but they each have a relationship to the product. And please do find better names for them.
😅 S'okay for you pro's - I'm petrified to change anything in case I rock the boat!
The types & sub types have no relationship in access but they do in the mind of the user...But I shouldn't mix the two up - My only excuse for bad practice - apologies Pat :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:22
I could maybe copy the DB onto a laptop and set up an export file to email/google docs that could be appended to the main DB? Might have to brush up on appending data or would a union query be less fraught?

There used to be a way to synchronize DBs that were copies of one another. However, Microsoft dropped that feature because it was a really tough thing to get right.

You can do this easily for yourself, though, by first making rules that define what you can do, or set up the DB on the laptop to only allow certain actions. For example, allow yourself to ADD data but do not EVER modify existing data. If that is practical, you could selectively filter based on dates to then (a) export a spreadsheet with only the new data required for each field, then (b) import the added records from a spreadsheet to a temporary table and then (c) use an INSERT INTO ... SELECT ... FROM query to load the temporary table to the permanent table. The problem would be that you CANNOT also allow the master DB to add records if there is any chance whatsoever that the ADD process would involve autonumbering. That would lead to destructive interference.

Linda1503

Local time
iPads are pretty useless in a Windows environment. a Surface pro would be significantly more useful
Yep - if there's
There used to be a way to synchronize DBs that were copies of one another. However, Microsoft dropped that feature because it was a really tough thing to get right.

You can do this easily for yourself, though, by first making rules that define what you can do, or set up the DB on the laptop to only allow certain actions. For example, allow yourself to ADD data but do not EVER modify existing data. If that is practical, you could selectively filter based on dates to then (a) export a spreadsheet with only the new data required for each field, then (b) import the added records from a spreadsheet to a temporary table and then (c) use an INSERT INTO ... SELECT ... FROM query to load the temporary table to the permanent table. The problem would be that you CANNOT also allow the master DB to add records if there is any chance whatsoever that the ADD process would involve autonumbering. That would lead to destructive interference.
Gulp! - Useful but might have to take a while to think it through...
Thanks!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:22
You can use iPads if your app runs in a browser so you need either Citrix or RD to host your app. With Surface Pro's, they run windows so they work just like a desktop or laptop would. They are just more portable.

Linda1503

Local time
You can use iPads if your app runs in a browser so you need either Citrix or RD to host your app. With Surface Pro's, they run windows so they work just like a desktop or laptop would. They are just more portable.
Thank you :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
There are also far cheaper Windows tablets that run Access reasonably well.
I have used a Linx 12x64 Windows tablet with Office 365 for over 4 years. It also comes with a detachable keyboard and is a fraction of the cost of a Surface Pro

Linda1503

Local time
There are also far cheaper Windows tablets that run Access reasonably well.
I have used a Linx 12x64 Windows tablet with Office 365 for over 4 years. It also comes with a detachable keyboard and is a fraction of the cost of a Surface Pro
👍Ta

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I didn't mean to promote the Surface Pro. It was the only name that came to mind. I am very anti-anything Apple. I made that decision back in the 80's when Apple decided that their corporate policy was to be incompatible with the rest of the PC world while the rest of the companies of the time were scrambling to be more compatible. They also decided not to license their OS to others. So the price of Windows technology went down but the price of Apple technology went up. Apple as a company was circling the drain until they lucked out with the iPhone which actually was ahead of the other options available. Now, once they suck you in to one of their products, you frequently have no alternative but to buy other stuff they sell if you need that feature set and you need the products to operate together..

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:22
Not to mention that Apple is one of those proponents of "no repair by outside provider." Once they have their hooks into you, you are hooked tight. Bad enough that the feds are looking into forcing that to change.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And then there's the app store and the 30% fee to developers for every download.

Linda1503

Local time
Sorry to bug you again folks...
Got the laptop/tablet (thanks isladogs!) and now trying to adapt the form (which now works fine (thanks all!) to the smaller screen size - image attached.
Think pop up forms are the answer and the Add/Edit Customer one works fine but when I try to replace the Enter New Line Item subform with a pop up version I get "You must enter a value in the 'Order Details.Order ID' field.
Tried (in my bumbling way) to fix it but failing... any ideas?
Think one issue is getting the order ID from the main form to the pop up and possibly another is does the order need to be saved before the order detail can be added to the order?
Current form.JPG

Linda1503

Local time
Have got the Order ID to the pop up by using Modal & Cycle Current Record with Default value on Order ID referencing the main form's Order ID...
But get error show on pic when trying to save it.
Now.JPG

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You need to have a parent record, before you can save a child record.?
So do you fill the FK with the correct value?

Linda1503

Local time
Got it working :) !!!!
Sorry for all the questions .... but it is great how formulating the questions often suggests the solutions.
Wish I was a clearer thinker :-/

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You didn't say what you fixed but I would expect to see this error if you opened formB from formA without first saving the dirty record on formA. This is just a good habit to get into. If you open a report, run a query, open a new form, you need to save the current record FIRST or it won't be present in the table and the object you tried to open could fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom