Unwanted 'Enter Parameter Value' pop up when running a report (1 Viewer)

Fowz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:43
I've only just managed to fix a baffling error in one of my database reports after much :banghead:. I thought I would share the very simple solution for anyone else who may encounter similar.

Basically, I had a form named 'ReportPage' that acted as a launchpad for a variety of reports. On this ReportPage were two text boxes named 'StartDate' and 'EndDate' into which the user would enter dates to run the various reports between. All the queries and reports therefore referenced these text boxes ([Forms]![ReportPage].[StartDate] and [Forms]![ReportPage].[EndDate]) to filter the data.

Everything worked fine, as expected, until one day (for no discernible reason) the 'Enter Parameter Value' dialog box began popping up requesting values for [Forms]![ReportPage].[StartDate] and [Forms]![ReportPage].[EndDate] - dozens of times, I might add, due to the number of subreports referencing the objects. Try as I might, I couldn't work out what had gone wrong. I tediously checked through each background query and subreport to make sure the references were all correct, with no success.

The solution? On the ReportPage, I went into the Properties of each text box, deleted the Name and re-entered it. Voila.

I can only presume that some hidden character or such like had somehow found its way into the text box names (perhaps by a mischevious user!). In any case, this fixed the problem.

Hopefully this simple solution might help rescue the sanity of anyone else facing a similar predicament.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:43
That is pretty much correct, Fowz. The "Enter parameter" prompt always ccurs when a query (expressed or implied by a .controlsource property) spells a field name incorrectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom