Updatable or Not (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
That is the question that perplexes us. Well, maybe not us, but certainly me.

I have two separate main forms with the identical subform. One of them is updateable the other is not. all the setting on both are the same.

Any ideas?

Thank All

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:23
Having spent at least 20 minutes yesterday trying to fathom why I couldn't select a value in a new list box I had just added, I suddenly noticed that the form was set to

AllowEdits = No

.... :eek:

Open the underlying queries and see if they are updateable.
If they are it's something on the form, if not that is your problem.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
You say that both forms use the identical subform. Is that using the SAME subform or is "identical" simply a copy?

Is the sub-form the only part that cannot be updated, or is the parent having the miscreant subform also non-updateable at the parent level?

Are both form/subform pairs using the same parent/child linking fields?

Is there a filter on one of the parent forms that isn't on the other parent?

Or do both parents have the same .RecordSource?

Do you have code on the subform's events that might be context-sensitive?

You are looking for differences but they have to be somehow related to the parent if you are using the same form for both parent forms. But if you are working with identical copies, then it is possible that the difference is that the identical copy isn't identical. Fill us in on that level of structural detail.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
You say that both forms use the identical subform. Is that using the SAME subform or is "identical" simply a copy?

Is the sub-form the only part that cannot be updated, or is the parent having the miscreant subform also non-updateable at the parent level?

Are both form/subform pairs using the same parent/child linking fields?

Is there a filter on one of the parent forms that isn't on the other parent?

Or do both parents have the same .RecordSource?

Do you have code on the subform's events that might be context-sensitive?

You are looking for differences but they have to be somehow related to the parent if you are using the same form for both parent forms. But if you are working with identical copies, then it is possible that the difference is that the identical copy isn't identical. Fill us in on that level of structural detail.
I apologize for the use of the word Identical. They are the same subform.
I will go through the list tomorrow morning and let you know.
Thank you Doc

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If it is the same subform, the difference has to be in how it is activated - which includes details of the context from which it was activated.

Differences would include the use of the OpenArgs option or establishing a filter or some difference in the query that drives the parent forms.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
If it is the same subform, the difference has to be in how it is activated - which includes details of the context from which it was activated.

Differences would include the use of the OpenArgs option or establishing a filter or some difference in the query that drives the parent forms.
This is the weird part.
It was the query. I copied the SQL to a brand not updatable. There was a problem in that i was trying to use a non-indexed field as a foreign key.

The weird part is that it actually worked on one of them . They are both working now. Maybe there is some code on the popup form that allowed it to work.

Anyway thank you

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem, my friend. Happy to have helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom