Update Cells from Another Workbook (1 Viewer)

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 23:15
Hi Forum,
I have a Worksheet (A) with 50,000 plus rows and the records have been updated.
Headings are Invoice Number, Part Number, Sell Price & Cost Price, Customer, plus the updated column.

This Workbook / Worksheet is copied from another Workbook (B) that downloads from a Database.
The Customer column has only recently been included in the records coming across from B to A.
I need to update Customer to the 49,000 records in A that did not include this column. Easy done except, it will overwrite the updated column.

How can I get the Customer data from B to populate A where Invoice is the same value ?

Thinking of a Loop that finds an Invoice row in A with "" in the Customer cell. Then finds the first record in B matching Invoice number and inputs the Customer data into A.
There will be many rows with the same Invoice Number but they will have the same Customer Name.
Speed is not an issue as this is a once only task.

Appreciate advice on this issue:confused:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:15
Your post was moderated. No idea why. Now approved.
I will report the issue to site admins

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Can't you just use a VLookup and then Paste Special.? All done manually

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Forum,
I have a Worksheet (A) with 50,000 plus rows and the records have been updated.
Headings are Invoice Number, Part Number, Sell Price & Cost Price, Customer, plus the updated column.

This Workbook / Worksheet is copied from another Workbook (B) that downloads from a Database.
The Customer column has only recently been included in the records coming across from B to A.
I need to update Customer to the 49,000 records in A that did not include this column. Easy done except, it will overwrite the updated column.

How can I get the Customer data from B to populate A where Invoice is the same value ?

Thinking of a Loop that finds an Invoice row in A with "" in the Customer cell. Then finds the first record in B matching Invoice number and inputs the Customer data into A.
There will be many rows with the same Invoice Number but they will have the same Customer Name.
Speed is not an issue as this is a once only task.

Appreciate advice on this issue:confused:

Did you ever sort this out?

I'd think that the easiest way to do this is to take your existing Worksheet A and upload it to the database, assuming the columns that both datasets have in common are labeled and formatted the same, and do a query that would match up based on the Invoice Number and other matching criteria (total cost?) and add the customer name info, then re-export the query's results into Excel and make it the new, improved Worksheet A. Unless it's a database you don't have access to input anything, just export. In which case, I'd probably still put both tables in MS Access and work from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom