Update Query/Append Query (1 Viewer)

shaz123

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:12
Hi All,

I am using an update query however when clicking on the run button within the query, i keep reciving an error message which i have attached. It basically refering that due to setting a primary Key on the table i cannot add all the records, however i need to set a primary key to the table to stop duplicate entries from being updated. Any help im confused.

The table is set up as:
Line Number (Primary Key)
WorkOrderNumber (Primary Key)
ProdNo (Primary Key)
ProductDescription
Quantity
CylinderSerial Number
Status

I have set the first three fields as primary keys as there cannot be a Workorder number with the same line number and product number as another

for e.g. the follwing results cannot be shown
Workorder number Line Number ProdNo
3333 1 221
3333 1 221

For e.g the follwing results can be shown

Workorder number Line Number ProdNo
3333 1 221
3333 2 221

Any help, can u see what i am doing worng

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    87 KB · Views: 122

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 00:12
What does the SQL of your query look like? Is it an update or append query (I'm confused from your thread title)?

shaz123

Registered User.
Local time
Sowi for the confusion

Sowi for the confusion, it is an update query, below is the SQL of the query

UPDATE AberdeenWOLines LEFT JOIN AberdeenWOLinesclient ON AberdeenWOLines.WorksOrderNumber = AberdeenWOLinesclient.WorksOrderNumber SET AberdeenWOLinesclient.WorksOrderNumber = AberdeenWOLines.WorksOrderNumber, AberdeenWOLinesclient.[Line Number] = AberdeenWOLines.[Line Number], AberdeenWOLinesclient.ProdNo = AberdeenWOLines.ProdNo, AberdeenWOLinesclient.ProductDescription = AberdeenWOLines.ProductDescription, AberdeenWOLinesclient.Quantity = AberdeenWOLines.Quantity, AberdeenWOLinesclient.[Cylinder Serial] = AberdeenWOLines.[Cylinder Serial], AberdeenWOLinesclient.Status = AberdeenWOLines.Status;

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:12
You are attempting to update the field that you are using to join the two tables here:
Code:
SET AberdeenWOLinesclient.WorksOrderNumber = AberdeenWOLines.WorksOrderNumber
That doesn't make any sense.

shaz123

Registered User.
Local time
Thanxs for your response neileg, but i am new to this, what i am trying to do is update all the fields from the AberdeenWOLines to AberdeenWOLinesclient, were the Worksorder number, Lie number and Product number are set to primary key. Were would i put the join between the two table if i need to update every field?

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:12
The two fields must already be the same if you have joined on them. That's why I said it made no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom