update query or not (1 Viewer)

willem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:54
I have a table containing starting dates and projects, each time one enters a new starting date and project, i need to set an ending date in the previous record.
Should i use a query or module?
How would i do that?

Many thanks

Willem

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
OK, wait a minute. Each time the user enters a start date for a project, that changes the ending date for some OTHER project? Uh, that just doesn't seem right. There is no logical relationship between any two records on a table based on sequence (at least, none that you should count on.)

Could you please explain a little more about what you want to accomplish.

willem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:54
The project participants are students, each time they switch from one project to another the other has to be ended. In one month there is a possibility that they participated in 10 projects, but they will never be in more then 1 project at a time.
I need to select those people that have participated in a project during a certain month, then i have to disable the textboxes for the days he was in another project. It is to keep track of their attendancy and stuff. It is easier to disable boxes when you have end dates. It doesn't mean the project ends but the person has finished participating in that particular project.
Maybe there is another way but to do this but it is hard. I have already written code to disable textboxes but now i need to put in end dates manually. To be on the safe side i will have to sort ascending on starting dates.

[This message has been edited by willem (edited 09-04-2001).]

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
I don't know if this will help, but here goes... If I was designing this fresh, I would have three tables, Students, Projects, and Student-Project-History.

The project table would contain a project ID, project description, and a begin and end date for the entire project. (Projects probably start and end sometime, right?)

The student table would have their ID and name.

The student-project-history table would have the Student ID, a Project ID, a Sequence number, and begin and end dates. The sequence number covers you if a student participates in the same project more than once. You would have to handle the max of ten projects per month some way; can project involvement extend beyond month end? Or do you start fresh each month?

The current project for a student would have a beginning date but no ending date; every other project would have both dates. So, when a student changes projects, you update the "old" current project by adding the ending date, then write a new record that becomes their "current" project.

Now, the textboxes. What do they do? My guess is that you are trying to show which students participated in a given project, graphically...

Also, do you need to handle school days versus calendar days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom