Update Query Probs (1 Viewer)

Becca

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:37
Hi there
I have two tables(in hundreds) within my database. What I am trying to do is create a shortcut for non-accountants so that journal entries are predefined according to certain transactions. It also has the flexibility to allow direct entry into the COA for those "out of the ordinary" transactions.
To enable this I have 2 tables. Table#1 is a subaccount transactions table, and table#2 the main chart of accounts transactions table.
I am able to base a append query on table two and associated tables to append correct attributions of transaction amounts to correct Table#2 accounts. The append query works perfectly.
However, I believe that the update query would be more suitable, as it would mean that if any edits are made later on to table#1 to a specific entry an update query will replace if the transaction is already in Table#2.To enable this, I have made an inital query, to calculate the attributions to the assorted accounts.
My problem is that I cannot get the second query - the update query to work.. I keep getting the error message upon execution of: "Operation must use an updatable query". This is weird. and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any tips would be appreciated, meanwhile I will keep muddling through it.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
You lost me completely with the acccounting part but if your Update query is trying to update tables using your query "...to calculate the attributions to the assorted accounts." then that is probably your problem. Not all queries are updatable and that sounds like where your problem is. The Update query is no doubt OK, it is the other one. Search Help for Queries and then troubleshooting and there you should find an explanation about which queries are updatable, etc.

Becca

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks

I changed my first query to a "make Table" query to get over the unupdateable query bit.. however while I no lonager get the "unapdateable query bit" now it updates my table to, but with lines contianing no data. Any help is much appreciated.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Not just sure what is going on as the Update query should only update the target table. I really do not know what else to tell you except to check your Update query carefully....

Becca

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Jack, but I have figured it all out now, don't ask me what I did wrong.. i just deleted it and started again. Something must have been wrong somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom