Upload a database to the web (1 Viewer)

rhodesengr

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:33
This seems like a basic question but I can not find a reference in the documentation.

I have an Access database I have developed on my local computer. I have a webserver account on Godaddy.

Is there a way I can just upload my databse files (tables, forms, reports) and run it from the web?

How do I do this?

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:33
I would suggest ASP or ASP.NET running on your database.

Simon

DianaW

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
Asp / Asp.net

May I also ask three very basic, maybe stupid questions with regards to this topic:

1. What is actually the difference between ASP and PHP with regards to integration of databases on websites?
2. Do you know a website, which is free, where I can use ASP or PHP?
3. Are there free software / tutorials for ASP available, which you could recommend?

Regards
Diana

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:33
ASP runs on Microsoft IS and PHP on Apache etc.
I don't know of any free hosting sites.
If you are going down this route then look at ASP.NET. I learnt by my mistakes and they are numerous. If I got stuck I looked on the web or resorted to rtfm.

Simon

rhodesengr

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:33
know more now

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I have continued to dig and know more now than I did when i first posted. First, I was not looking for free hosting. I have a hosting account on Godaddy as I said in the first post.

I setup an application in Access. My idea was to connect this to a mysql databse on the godaddy servers. My account allows for up to 25 mysql dabtabses. Mysql provides a "connector" called ODBC which allows an Access application running on you client PC to coonect to a mysql database up on the server. So this should have been a solution. However, my account level on Godaddy does not allow external databse connections. I have a "virtual" hosting account. To be able to do exterbal db connections, I would a need a "dedicated" account. However, this is more expensive and at this time not worth the extra money to me.

What would work is if the DB front end was written in PHP and running on my server. Then it could connect to the mysql databases like my website, and other hosted applications I am laying with.

Sadly, I have not yet found something like Access that allows you to build a DB application from scratch in PHP. probably something around and there are some things in Opensource that are close.

So thats what I know at this point.

mscahill

Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
Access level

No host is ever going to let you connect to one of their shared MySQL databases through ODBC. It is a resource hog. Instead, buy a license of SQLyog and use HTTP tunneling to maintain your database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom