Users inputting incorrect data (1 Viewer)

saintsman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:46
This is a continuing problem despite my best efforts.

I have a form for inputting data. The first record is a dummy record that identifies itself as for information and has a large field that states to use the binoculars for searching (people type in the number etc into the field and then try to search). I also have a button on the form that states 'Enter New record'.

People are not reading the notices and are inputting data straight into the first record, overwriting what is already there so I am constantly having corrupt data. I have tried educating people to no effect.

Suggestions on how to overcome this problem will be much appreciated.

nishantd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:46
remove first dummy record

Why not take the information in the first 'dummy' record and simply place it as text on the form?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
or have the form open at a blank record. . . .

or give the users a good slapping :D

Col

saintsman

Registered User.
Local time
"or give the users a good slapping "

That's the sort of positive response I like :D

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Or open the form in read only and require the users to click the button to add or edit. Include in the code that this triggers a routine to present either a new blank record, or the record to be amended, as appropriate.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Having a dummy record, to me, seems silly. Open to a new record, as suggested, and train people to use it properly; don't expect them to understand from the off.

=TB=

Registered User.
Local time
This might not be what you want to hear but if users are constantly repeating the same imput errors then maybe you need to completley re-design the form to make it more user friendly.

From your post I am not quite sure what exactly what the problem is, maybe it's just me having a bad brain day.

You could try on using the on current even of the form to lock the offending parts of the form.
Code:
If Me.NewRecord = False Then
Me.txtField.Enabled = False
End If

Then maybe place an Edit Button to unlock the form, maybe even with a message box that warns the user that they are about to unlock the form for editing. This would make your users more aware of what they are about to do.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:46
saintsman said:
People are not reading the notices and are inputting data straight into the first record, overwriting what is already there so I am constantly having corrupt data.
You need to check if the current record is 'dirty' and then prompt the user if they want to save changes to the current record or undo their changes using the forms BeforeUpdate event. Search the forum for the keyword "Dirty" and you should find a lot of threads with suggestions. Ad my user name "ghudson" to your search if you want to see what I have recently posted for the 'dirty' subject.

saintsman

Registered User.
Local time
Mile-O-Phile said:
Having a dummy record, to me, seems silly. Open to a new record, as suggested, and train people to use it properly; don't expect them to understand from the off.

That does seem the logical solution but I work with a lot of dinosaurs and some of them do not want to use computers at all. If they have to use a computer you have to do the thinking for them and make it as easy as possible.

With some of them you can point out their mistake over and over again. Next time they use it they will make the same mistake.

The thing with these dinosaurs is that the database makes their lives so much easier. Instead of them searching around for scrap bits of paper etc, all the information is there at a touch of a button. They just do not want to know :(

R

Rich

I assume the dummy record is the first displayed so will this work?
Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.CurrentRecord = 1 Then
Me.AllowEdits = False
Else: Me.AllowEdits = True
End If
End Sub

saintsman

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, Rich, I think that will do the trick.

Thanks to all those who replied. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom