Validation Rule on Field in a Table (1 Viewer)

mariaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:43
Hi

I have a form which people fill in (made up of fields from Table1) to record when sick days.

On the form, they have to enter the "week commencing" (which is set at Medium Date format); then they have to enter in a first day (which is set at Short Date format).

The First Day should be no more than 7 days from the date that they enter in the Week commencing field on the form.

I want an error message to pop up if they do this, for example:

Week commencing: 1st April 2007
First Day: 10th April 2007

(because the 10th April 2007 is more than 7 days from the 1st April). But it would be ok if they did this:

Week commencing: 1st April 2007
First Day: 8th April 2007

Help???

thanks!

Maria

mariaw

Registered User.
Local time
Validation rule

Hi

Thanks for this, but even with a pop-up calendar I am not convinced people will get it right....

How do I "write" the validation rule please?

thanks

Maria

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:43
Are the users entering the data via form? If so you need to use the controls before update event

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:43
I'm a little confused because you say that April 8, 2007 is in the week commencing on April 1, 2007 but they are both a Sunday! How about letting the user fill in the Sick Day and you calculate the Week Commencing for them? Do your weeks start on Sunday or Monday?

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Maria

Maria,

Take a look at form1 in this mdb and the code in the Before Update event of the second text box, is this what you want to happen?

I have used the DateDiff function to work out the difference in days and pop up a message if over 7 days, enter 2 dates and press tab and you should see a message appearing if over 7 days difference.

Last edited:

mariaw

Registered User.
Local time
Validation Rule

I'm a little confused because you say that April 8, 2007 is in the week commencing on April 1, 2007 but they are both a Sunday! How about letting the user fill in the Sick Day and you calculate the Week Commencing for them? Do your weeks start on Sunday or Monday?

Hi

Our weeks start on a Sunday, so sorry, the 1st to the 7th April 2007 inclusive will be the week commencing 1st April

How would I get it to calculate the week commencing for them?

Thanks

Maria

mariaw

Registered User.
Local time
For Michael J Ross

Sorry but it says the database zip file is corrupted; Also, I am on Microsoft Access 97?

thanks

Maria

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:43
Maybe this function will help:
Code:
Public Function ToSunday(StartDate As Date) As Date
'-- convert the StartDate to the previous Sunday's Date
ToSunday = StartDate - (DatePart("w", StartDate, vbSunday) - 1)

End Function

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Maria,

Access 97 version attached for you, hopefully not corrupted (although the other was ok for me)

Rural Guy's looks the better solution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom