VBA alternative (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:11
I agree with the others, don't moan, just gently steer them towards how much it will cost to replace the existing functionality.
Especially if there are some complicated spreadsheet models knocking about in addition to Access.
Once upper management realises the costs involved they will almost certainly have a slight change of heart. Money talks.

Have a meeting with IT and explain how things are tested and locked down.

JamesR

Local time
I am more petty. I would just have every user submit a fix-it ticket to IT every time they tray to use the database and it doesn't work. When their open ticket que balloons out of this world, they will take another look at reality.
We tried that but out IT helpdesk is outsourced so they were not too bothered

JamesR

Local time
My 2 pennies worth..

Reading some of the comments i find quite concerning and demonstraights a lack of understanding from various parties involved. If your IT company have made the decision to blanket ban an application because their argument is that MSA uses Macros or VBA which may lend itself to be exploited resulting in data being corrupt, leaked or encrypted and/or held to ransom then what this suggests to me is that the IT Company/Manager currently providing an IT support service is placing limitation on you because they simply have a lack of knowledge and understanding. Reflected also is the fact that if Management have agreed to this blanket ban/limitations then they have been ill advised. This is typical of what I see in industry and when my skills are called upon to find a solution most of amenable resolve is found in simple communication with real understanding of the threat, the consiquence the restriction proposed has to business and a clear move forward plan. Most IT companies when brought to the table with Appication designers, Management and someone with the a broad spectrum of skill set to challenge all argument is all that's needed to resolve the issue you present here. I have never been unsuccessful yet in argument however I've been doing this for many years. Developers should never feel the IT department is working agains them. Any IT company worth their salt will be happy to be part of the solution not the problem.
Your 2 pennies worth makes sense but I am so far removed from the senior decision makers in the company. I have lobbied various managers on this but it's a no win.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
When the boss discovers that he cannot use his favourite Excel spreadsheet, then I think you will have a change in policy!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Now would be a good time to buy your 'You'll be sorry' T shirt for dress down Friday. :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:11
I'm of the "make a list and show costs to replace" strategy. Make a second list and show "without this ability, you will no longer get predictable, timely, pretty, or ACCURATE reports as shown on this list because from now on they will be done by hand. Further, here is the estimated time cost in minutes for each of the excluded reports. At x.xx dollars per hour in salary, this is the labor cost to hand-replace what has now been barred." Take that to the manager and say "This IT decision has this effect on your department."

It would help if some of the reports are forwarded to higher management, but of course that becomes YOUR boss's problem.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I would just let them get on with it TBH.

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:11
Hi,
Just a thought, before I started using MS Access I used a now out of date product called Paradox from Coral Draw. I did some major databases using it as it also had coding.
Try finding a copy and having a look at it.
Peter

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:11
Access used to have a couple of competitors. Paradox and FoxPro were two and in the early days there was dBase. All are gone.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:11
Peter, Paradox would also be recognized as having macros and/or embedded code, I think. It doesn't use VBA but it will have similar problems because Windows doesn't care WHAT the embedded language happens to be.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:11
Maybe an useless comment, but is creating an add-in from the vba code more secure ?
Or maybe making a dll ?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:11
Ejecting VBA because it can do damage is like cutting off an arm cure a broken fingernail.

Any kind of code is a threat. Where I work we block anything that isn't known about by a central permissions system. Any executable code needs to be signed or fingerprinted and whitelisted.

VBA Code isn't dangerous when it is signed by the developer. It takes a bit of setting up to issue the certificates and distribute them on a domain but it does completely avoid any problems. Group Policy stops any code running unless it is signed.

There is nothing intrinsically vulnerable about VBA if used properly. The Office Suite is an incredibly powerful tool. It gets a bad reputation because advanced capabilities are so accessible to well meaning plebs. Many companies don't realise until too late that way too many people have become involved in coding. Comprehending the terrible code they wrote, the reasons for the ensuing department dependence on it and ultimate stumble when it becomes unmaintainable can be expensive lessons. The real costs are usually hidden because they are more in lost opportunity than expense.

Locking down the access is quite a sensible move. Just make sure the right people get tickets to ride.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:11
Maybe an useless comment, but is creating an add-in from the vba code more secure ?
Or maybe making a dll ?
The app would still need VBA to pass in whatever the .dll needs and handle what it returns so VBA or macros would still be involved.

Cancelling ALL VBA and macros is too irrational for words. Requiring code to be signed is a fine solution. If external attachments were the problem. STOP allowing external attachments. Route them to a secure site and tell the recipient where they are.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:11
What is the point of this thread? You have stated several times that you are 100% certain VBA is not allowed, and you are posting the question in a forum dedicated to VBA programming. There isn't much we can do except offer our condolences, and there isn't much you can do other than change their minds or make a career choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom