VBA to Use Outlook 365 (Web) vs local Outlook (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:10
Doc
I think your last answer may possibly explain the confusion in terminology.
Both Microsoft (Office) 365 & Office 2019 include versions of Outlook, Word etc that are installed on your hard drive and both can be automated using VBA from Access. Files may be saved to One Drive as part of the M365 subscription (or just using a MS account,
Retail Office 2019 is just a version of 365 that is 'frozen in time' with no monthly updates. Otherwise functionally identical

There are also online versions of most Office apps - Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Note. These are viewed in a browser and can retrieve Office documents saved in One Drive as well as email. For example, this is what Outlook 'Live' looks like:
1613986559680.png

None of these install anything on the hard drive and they cannot be automated. Similarly with Outlook Web Access (OWA) - a different 'beast' again. It is those online apps that I have been referring to throughout this thread for example in post #7
My understanding is that none can be handled using VBA from e.g. Access except for desktop version

I hope this helps clarify things rather than adding to any confusion

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:10
Guess I was a little bit behind on the profusion of Web-based versions. Thanks for the clarification, Colin.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
The Cloud versions of O365 all run in a browser. They are not loaded on your PC and so they cannot be automated using OLE. Running in the cloud is what allows them to run on your PC. Access is has to be actually installed on a PC to run. It cannot run in the cloud. I think all the versions other than the cheapest one provide local installations for all the products so you can choose to install them locally if you prefer.

You might be able to get Access to create an email by poking but that would be tedious and fraught with problems since it would fail whenever the layout changed and we know how MS loves change for the sake of change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom