Virtual Access DevCon (Developer Conference) 2020: free Recordings Now Available! (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 23:58
So, as fate would have it, my sister in law sent me a plea for help. Long story but the company she works for wants her to find a solution to their AC2010 application that a former employee made... She was going to do it with Excel but ny wife talked her off that ledge.

She sent me a copy and it is just terrible...I need to make some changes including the names of just about ALL of the objects. Crystal's SQL Documenter and Sonic8's Find and Replace tool - both showcased at the DevCon - will come in very handy.

Thanks both of you for that voodoo that you do so well!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:58
I'll see if I can get that portion for you...
That would be marvellous - thank you in advance for your efforts even if it doesn't come off.
(That sounds all wrong now that I've typed it.)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
hi Minty,

here is the Power Platform Online Conference 2020:

It is 9 hours. I thought some of the sessions were pretty good. Here is the schedule:

• Shane Young, t=0
  • Build your first app with Power Apps and Automate
    Let's start at the beginning by quickly building your first app and then adding a flow into the mix to be fancy. No PowerPoints, no boring, just the info you need to get started in your Power Platform career.
    Fri 9:00 AM — 30 min
  • Sarah Patrick, t=1809
  • Case Study: How I used SharePoint, Flow, PowerApps, and Forms to build a Speaker Database
    In this case study, I detail how I went about designing and implementing a Speaker Database for the Project Management Institute using SharePoint, Flow, Power Apps, and Microsoft Forms. We will do a brief intro of what each technology is and it's pros and cons, and then dive into what I learned about each, each strengths and weaknesses, and how I was able to build a functional Speaker Database.
    Fri 9:30 AM — 30 min
  • Kent Weare, t=3532
  • Building your first Robotic Process Automation using UI Flow
    Microsoft recently introduced its Robotic Process Automation offering called UI Flows. In this session, Kent will walk attendees through building their first RPA bot that will automatically submit a time sheet using UI Flows.
    Fri 10:00 AM — 30 min
  • Marc Gerner, t=5350
  • Basic Permissions in the Common Data Service
    A lot brand new Power Platform users have no knowledge of Security Roles, Business Units and Teams. In this session, you'll learn what Security Roles are and how to use them.
    Fri 10:30 AM — 30 min
  • Sancho Harker, t=7171
  • Build even faster with PowerApps Templates
    Have you ever changed every colour property of a Power App to match brand/theming? Would you like to be able to change themes on-the-fly within your Power Apps? So much time can be saved by the community if we share and use templates to build Apps.
    Fri 11:00 AM — 30 min
  • Mar Llambí, t=8966
  • Troubleshooting & Best Practices with Power Automate
    We empower the user providing the necessary tools to automate his/her processes, reduce the manually work and icrease the efficency but... what happens when the next step has to be taken? Does the user know how to really deal with a big flow, how to handle the most common errors and what must and must not do? Let's put some light on it ;)
    Fri 11:30 AM — 30 min
  • Odd Modlin, t=10761
  • 3 Power Apps Techniques for better apps
    In this session, we will explore how to implement 3 techniques to make your apps more functional and visually appealing:

1. Pop-Up messages and windows
    2. Pop-Out menus
    3. Collapsible groupings in Galleries
    Fri 12:00 PM — 30 min
  • Ashley Rogers, t=12543
  • Speaking SharePoint's Language: HTTP to SharePoint in Power Automate
    You've used SharePoint actions in a flow and you're ready to take things to the next level. Join Ashley to learn about using the HTTP to SharePoint action in Power Automate for so much more than just getting items. This is a great way to get your feet wet with APIs using a data source you already know and love!
    Fri 12:30 PM — 30 min
  • Yash Agarwal, t=14324
  • Less Code More Power, How it's done!
    In this session, I will present a low code no code solution built using the entire Power Platform. A service front that is built using PVA that interacts with a user and gathers information. A flow in Power Automate that validates this information and stores it on a data source (sharepoint/ CDS). A Canvas App that allows internal users to perform CRUD operations on the data. A PowerBI report to visualise the data. Lastly, the PVA will be installed on a web page, the canvas app and the power bi report on a Teams channel for better collaboration on work.
    Fri 1:00 PM — 30 min

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Minty, Power Platform Online Conference 2020 schedule, continued
  • Nick Doelman, t=16158
  • Intro to Power Apps Portals
    Model Driven and Canvas based Power Apps provide incredibly powerful tools for building business applications for internal users. What about external audiences such as customers and partners? In October 2019, Power Apps Portals became generally available as a way for external stakeholders to interact with CDS data. This technology is actually the Dynamics 365 Portals platform with some new enhancements. This session provides an introduction to building a Model Driven App and the steps to expose it to an external audience via Power Apps Portals.
    Fri 1:30 PM — 30 min
  • Hamish Sheild, t=17957
  • End to End Automation with the Power Platform
    Everyone hates the manual and laborious task of submitting and processing expenses. This session demonstrates how to completely automate an invoice / expense process using multiple components of the Power Platform and the Microsoft stack. Underpinned by Power Automate the demonstration uses a real world example of how to download a car parking invoice from an external website, process it as per business requirements, conduct approvals and then send to a finance system (Xero).

The following Power Platform components are used:
    - UI Flows (Robot Process Automation)
    - On-premises Gateways
    - AI Builder Form Processing
    - Model-driven Power Apps with Dynamics 365 Project Service Automation
    - Power Automate Approvals
    - Microsoft Teams
    - Adaptive Cards
    - Custom Connectors
    Fri 2:00 PM — 30 min
  • Bryant Boyer, t=19766
  • Rapid Time to Market with Power Apps
    The clock is ticking, and you need to have an app not only produced, but launched in two days. How can you create a great-looking app by your deadline with time to spare? Learn from a real case scenario how to wireframe your app, get to MVP, update the UI, build some flows, and distribute/launch it!
    Fri 2:30 PM — 30 min
  • Adam Saxton, t=21568
  • Patrick LeBlanc, t=21568
  • What the French Toast is Power BI Doing to my Database
    Power BI allows almost anyone to quickly and easily connect to most relational database sources, build data models and create reports. What types of queries do Power BI send to the back-end source, how often are these queries sent and how many queries are sent? These are just a few questions that a DBA should think about when their organization decides to deploy Power BI as an Analytical Reporting Solution. In this session we will discuss topics and questions that DBAs should ask before, during and after Power BI is deployed in their organization. In addition, we will demonstrate what the FRENCH TOAST Power BI is doing to your database.
    Fri 3:00 PM — 30 min
  • Laura Rogers, t=23360
  • Keeping Track of all those Approvals!
    In Power Automate, there is a great, built in way to create and wait for approvals. Approvals could be around files, items, or even a row in a spreadsheet or database. The built in interface is intuitive for business users to easily approve items that come their way. But, sometimes it's a bit challenging to get a grasp of what is still out their waiting, because only the sender and recipient of the approval have access to that information. In this session, you will learn a method of kicking off approvals and keeping track of them in a SharePoint list. This increased visibility allows for the ability to do more with the data, such as send overdue notices.
    Fri 3:30 PM — 30 min
  • Frederik Bisback, t=25157
  • Clifton Lenne, t=25157
  • Deliver an Enhanced User Experience by Combining Azure, Teams and the Microsoft Power Platform
    Does your company have several teams demanding test environments in Azure? Well, then I will tell you how you can combine Azure Blueprints, PowerApps, Microsoft Flow and Microsoft Teams to get in total control of your budget.
    The PowerApp will be used to send requests, gather feedback and manage the budget. Teams will be used to send approvals to the Team Manager and inform the requestor once the environment has been provisioned. And of course, all of this will be automated with Microsoft Flow.
    Fri 4:00 PM — 30 min
  • Sara Barbosa, t=26959
  • Raphael Santos, t=26959
  • Power BI Governance & Best Practices
    Business users are already using Power BI, it doesn't matter if IT department is ready for supporting that. Thinking about it, from Admin to another Admin I'll be sharing few learned lessons, best practices why should we dedicate our attention on the Power BI Admin Center.
    Fri 4:30 PM — 30 min
  • Paul Culmsee, t=28759
  • CoE: Next level governance of the Power Platform
    In this session, Paul will provide an overview of the CoE toolkit, and provide insights from utilizing it in one of the largest organsiations in Australia
    Fri 5:00 PM — 30 min
  • Sultan Al Sharfi, t=30561
  • ALM for Low Code Solutions (PowerApps/Power Automate)
    Tried practices for implementing a successful ALM story for low code solutions.. The session will cover everything from process to tools (Azure DevOps/GitHub)
    Fri 5:30 PM — 30 min

Closing remarks, t=32260

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Brillant - that will keep me occupied for a good while.
@strive4peace Many thanks Crystal, much appreciated.
you're welcome! Even though the topics might make you want to jump around, know that they are generally organized from easy to harder concepts, so it would be good to watch the sessions in order.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Minty, I updated the Power Platform schedule with hyperlinks to jump to times in the video in case you want to go back to anything. Please let me know if any of the time codes are wrong, thank you!

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
Are only original attendees going to be allowed to view the recordings or will the other topics also be open to AWF members to see?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 23:58
I beleive what Crystal posted is the entire recording?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
sxschech, I think that the Access Devcon recordings will be open to anyone, but I'm not sure!

thanks for clarifying that, Colin. Sorry for the confusion, John -- the Power Platform conference was run on YouTube instead of Teams so there could be more attendees. It publicised at the Annual Microsoft MVP Summit, which for the first time was also held virtually. I posted it because Minty wanted more information about Power Apps.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No news yet on availability of session recordings.
Seems I wasn't alone in seeing the first day's sessions but they seem to have been removed again.

Capture.PNG

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Crystal and Colin for the status update. Hope that they decide to release the recordings to a wider audience.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Although the session recordings are not yet publicly available, you can now download PDF copies of the presentations for most of the talks.
That includes the Azure Logic Apps session by George Young that I missed originally.
To do so, click the Session Materials links below the session descriptions on this page http://www.donkarl.com/devcon/virtual2020.htm

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Good news.
The video recordings for the almost all sessions in the DevCon conference are also now available online at http://www.donkarl.com/devcon/virtual2020.htm
There are still two sessions not yet available

This is the rather amusing email I received:

the recordings and the downloads (slide decks, demos etc.) of the Virtual Access DevCon 2020 are available now. Just go to the web page to find the links at the end of each session description.

4 notes on the videos:

1) In order to save resources during Corona times Microsoft temporarily has limited the recording quality for Teams meetings to 720p. Therefore, the video quality isn't extremely good and smaller details are a bit blurred. There's nothing we can do about this.

2) The recordings needed a lot of editing for privacy reasons (think GDPR). That's why it took some days to put them online. I had to blacken a lot of attendees who had their video turned on, often unconsciously, picking their nose etc. Yes, several people did that during the 10 hours and I saw them all! ;-)

3) Two session recordings are missing due to special privacy reasons. At least, the recording of the session "Access to Health Care" should follow in the next days.

4) Thanks again to Peter Doering who assisted with hosting and recording in his Teams tenant.

If you want to get actively informed about a future real world Access DevCon Vienna you can subscribe to our mail list.

Hope that helps both those who participated and those unable to do so

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
'Fess up, Colin! Were you one of the ones picking their nose?!! 😝

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hah! AFAIK my video was switched off throughout.
However, I did notice several people who kept showing off their perhaps not so pretty faces during the sessions!
Anyway, I've not watched the recordings yet. Hopefully still watchable despite the health warnings from the organisers

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the update about the recordings. Planning to start on Friday afternoon. Glad they were able to edit out the non-Access materials.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
thanks, Colin!

Thanks to all you Access developers who attended the Virtual Access DevCon, or replay sessions afterward. It was indeed a great conference. Thanks to Karl Donaubauer for organizing DevCon, and Peter Doering for making the virtual event happen. There are lots of great presentations. I was honored to be present as well. My presentation was in the LAST time slot of the second day, in a compilation of New practical Tools.

My session discusses a couple tools you can freely download from MsAccessGurus.com and is here:

Access DevCon 2020 - CalendarMaker and Document SQL

I'd love to hear your comments

=================

Create calendar reports in Microsoft Access for any month and year, any first day for the week, for the language set up in Windows. Loop however many months you want, such as 12 to print a full year. Open in Access or create PDF files with your calendars.

Download CalendarMaker (free, open source, comments to help you understand in the code)
http://msaccessgurus.com/tool/CalendarMaker.htm

=================

Document SQL and RecordSource statements to Microsoft Word. Test every statement. Mark Bad! statements so you can fix them, or verify they're okay. Count records when opened successfully. Show the SQL formatted with key words at the beginning of a line ... with line break + space before commas.

Download Document SQL (free, open source, comments to help you understand in the code)
http://msaccessgurus.com/tool/Addin_DocumentSql.htm

=================================================

Add-in installation is tricky, but once you've mastered the little quirks, you'll benefit from how handy they can be! Add-ins enable you to run code, pop up forms, and more, as if they are IN the database you currently have open! Making things you do often an add-in, or part of an add-in, will save you time.

YouTube video: How to Make and Install an Access Add-in (11:51)

~~~
and then, if you take the time to install one add-in, you might as well get more ... here are free add-ins posted on MsAccessGurus ~
http://msaccessgurus.com/tools.htm#Addins

=================================================

The RowSource for the first day of the week on the menu form is done using a callback function in the RowSourceType property of the listbox. Using a callback function instead of, for instance, defining a Value List in VBA, has a major benefit of string length not being limited. The row source also automatically refreshes -- for instance, notice that one only needs to APPLY Windows Region Setting changes to see those new values show up immediately in the list box wth day names. Web page for what you need to do to set a custom function to populate the rows of a list box or combo box:

VBA > Control > Row Source Type Callback Function
http://msaccessgurus.com/VBA/Code/ctl_RowSourceTypeFx.htm

~~~
Instead of picking Table/Query, Value List, or Field List for RowSourceType, you can use a custom callback function. Here is a video tutorial to show that:

YouTube video: RowSourceType Callback Function in Microsoft Access (12:33)

~~~
love Access 💘

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom