Webcontrol issues - One for the masters :) (1 Viewer)

axsprog

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:41
I am working on a Project Management App , and was looking for a way to "embed" a File Manager/Exlorer window on the Project Record form. I don't want to create a button and use filesystem object , been there done that and it is not the functionality the client wants. by chance , when adding the webcontrol (from the ribbon not the activex browser control) for viewing pdf's I noticed I could use that browser as a rudimentary file manager and create folders and drag and drop files into those folders. I set the controlsource for each record to that projects default path and everything seemed to great. Then I get a call from the VP saying that we need auto save because other users couldn't see the folders he created in the webcontrol???

Sure enough - I could not even use explorer to see these folders, nor could I see them through the webcontrol, but from his machine we could! Not only that Explorer from his machine did not see the new files and folders. I have never seen anything like this

We are on Terminal Services and a forticlient vpn - Using Access 365. Now I must add - Last night I created another user (windows 10 and why MSwant emails and info on a local user is unreal) on my local - and tested the control - I createcd folders and dragged and dropped. Then signed out and logged in as another user - and I could see everything

If noone knows the answer or is unfamiliar does anyone have a solution to allow for folder and file view (not treeview) and explorer type functionality with in a form? maybe even 3rd party activex or something? Thank you

Ill be checking back every 15 minutes lol as this has now become a pressing issue

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:41
First thought coming to mind is the file permissions and ownership. Get to Windows Explorer on the VP's machine and find the files. Then check via right-click >> Properties >> Security. On that panel click button Advanced. From the box that opened for that click you have Permissions, Effective Permissions, and Ownership, all of which are involved in deciding visibility.

Don't forget that if the file folder in question is in a private location, the folder's permissions are also an issue.

axsprog

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:41
Resolved
two issues
In design mode I set that controlsource so every record actually was setting that as the control source and then I was not issuing the requery command so it was not looking in the anticipated folder but the previous one

The control works wonderfully as an embedded file manager and explorer - create folders , drag and drop , etc List views , icon view , detail view. and displays pdfs and web pages

Thank you for the response I was with you - permissions
dang - I hate when its my fault - wait did I say that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom