What all can be added to improve the Performance... (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 18:33
Link is rubbish and does not work.
Test links before you post them! :(

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 13:33
@Gasman,
You are braver then I am clicking on the link. I am not going to try it. Reminds me of the old Life Cereal add.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Fair point.
On my phone though? :)

Now on Windows.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:33
I trusted my A/V package enough to click on it. It's basically a dump of computer specs such as one might find from one of the many performance monitoring tools. There is a protocol used for that information, SNMP (Simple Network Monitoring Protocol). I've used it once or twice with the Navy as a way to do remote system monitoring.

@prabha_friend - the problem of "improve the performance" is SO complex a question that it is nearly unanswerable. Performance is always based on TWO factors - a specific machine context (which you supplied) and a designated task, program, or application (which is still a mystery). In the absence of quite a few details, your question is so wide open as to be meaningless.

To decide where your machine is deficient, you must first know what is blocking you from operating faster. You can use the Windows Task Manager (WTM) to get a feel for this. Open WTM and select the Performance tab. You will find several real-time graphs that include statistics of a specific kind. You can select CPU, Memory, Disk, and Network by clicking one of the categories - usually along the left side of the display. If you have more than one disk, you might have more than one disk graph to check.

If you want to improve performance on a machine, here are the old stand-by rules in order.

Rule 0: A computer is never faster than its slowest element.

1. Get a bigger, faster disk or a better disk interface.

Disk bottlenecks are always the first thing you check. If your disk is nearly always busy then your disk is slow, either because the physical disk is too slow or because the I/O bus leading to it is too slow. Usually it is the disk, because a slow I/O bus - if slow enough - would be unable to use the disk at all. Has to do with pulse-timing on the clock circuits that drive operations. Interface types include SCSI, SATA, IDE (and its variants), ESDI, and a couple of others. Usually, you get a disk that is compatible with the interface because your interface usually came with the motherboard, but it is possible to buy other interfaces.

When a disk is too slow for what you want done, you end up running the world's most frustrating I/O Wait state because your code cannot proceed until it has data, and you usually have only one disk that has only one set of disk heads, so you can only read one thing at a time. IF you have an interface that allows it, you CAN trigger multiple simultaneous reads. Some of the advanced SCSI and IDE variants have that. It varies as to which manufacturer offers which options.

If your disk is not "peaked out" (not always 100% busy) then....

2. Get a bigger, faster memory

Programs cannot run unless they are in memory. If you don't have enough memory, stuff gets swapped out to the Virtual Memory file (a.k.a. page file a.k.a. swap file) - but it cannot run while there. In the WTM/Performance display, if your physical memory's "Available" number is very low, perhaps less than 10% of total memory, you MIGHT be having a problem. If it is less than 5%, you ARE having a problem.

If your system will allow it, you can add more memory, which (for hardware synchronization purposes) must be of the same type as the physical memory you have already. But memory sticks often come in different sizes. I changed out my 4 x 2 GB sticks for 4 x 4 GB sticks, so I very rarely run low on physical memory. Memory comes in different speeds, too. Again as a matter of hardware compatibility, if you are ADDING memory sticks and you already have DDR3, you really need to be adding MORE of the DDR3 sticks. It is a matter of what the manufacturer recommends, but mixing DDR3 with any other type of memory usually doesn't work. Adding DDR4 sticks to a DDR2 backplane won't work either because the timing pulses will be all wrong.

3. Get a faster CPU

The last thing you can do is to look at CPU load on WTM. If your CPU has multiple processors, you will have measurements for each processor. If all of your processors are at or near 100% saturation most of the time, your problem is that the CPUs of your system cannot keep up with the workload. The only solution in that case is a faster CPU or one with more processors in it. If the motherboard will allow it, you can swap out the old chip. Not all motherboards allow that. CPUs these days are in the 3.5 GHz range, which means (on the average) 1 BILLION (yes, with a "B") instructions per second. Having multiple processors on the CPU chip just acts as a multiplier on how many instructions per second you can reach.

I have worked on an Itanium-based super-micro ("longhorn" chip) that had 8 processors x 64 bits, but was only about 1.6 GHz because of the bus architecture. Even so, I never had more than 2 out of 8 processors saturated during the busiest hour of prime shift - and never ran out of memory. My disks were on Fibre-Channel x 8 GHz so the only thing I EVER waited for was a specific disk to spin.

Prabha_friend, there is no way to answer your question directly. You will have to set up whatever it is that you want to do and measure how well your system does. Then go forward from there.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you are talking about improving the performance of your app - this link may help

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 10:33
I trusted my A/V package enough to click on it. It's basically a dump of computer specs such as one might find from one of the many performance monitoring tools. There is a protocol used for that information, SNMP (Simple Network Monitoring Protocol). I've used it once or twice with the Navy as a way to do remote system monitoring.

@prabha_friend - the problem of "improve the performance" is SO complex a question that it is nearly unanswerable. Performance is always based on TWO factors - a specific machine context (which you supplied) and a designated task, program, or application (which is still a mystery). In the absence of quite a few details, your question is so wide open as to be meaningless.

To decide where your machine is deficient, you must first know what is blocking you from operating faster. You can use the Windows Task Manager (WTM) to get a feel for this. Open WTM and select the Performance tab. You will find several real-time graphs that include statistics of a specific kind. You can select CPU, Memory, Disk, and Network by clicking one of the categories - usually along the left side of the display. If you have more than one disk, you might have more than one disk graph to check.

If you want to improve performance on a machine, here are the old stand-by rules in order.

Rule 0: A computer is never faster than its slowest element.

1. Get a bigger, faster disk or a better disk interface.

Disk bottlenecks are always the first thing you check. If your disk is nearly always busy then your disk is slow, either because the physical disk is too slow or because the I/O bus leading to it is too slow. Usually it is the disk, because a slow I/O bus - if slow enough - would be unable to use the disk at all. Has to do with pulse-timing on the clock circuits that drive operations. Interface types include SCSI, SATA, IDE (and its variants), ESDI, and a couple of others. Usually, you get a disk that is compatible with the interface because your interface usually came with the motherboard, but it is possible to buy other interfaces.

When a disk is too slow for what you want done, you end up running the world's most frustrating I/O Wait state because your code cannot proceed until it has data, and you usually have only one disk that has only one set of disk heads, so you can only read one thing at a time. IF you have an interface that allows it, you CAN trigger multiple simultaneous reads. Some of the advanced SCSI and IDE variants have that. It varies as to which manufacturer offers which options.

If your disk is not "peaked out" (not always 100% busy) then....

2. Get a bigger, faster memory

Programs cannot run unless they are in memory. If you don't have enough memory, stuff gets swapped out to the Virtual Memory file (a.k.a. page file a.k.a. swap file) - but it cannot run while there. In the WTM/Performance display, if your physical memory's "Available" number is very low, perhaps less than 10% of total memory, you MIGHT be having a problem. If it is less than 5%, you ARE having a problem.

If your system will allow it, you can add more memory, which (for hardware synchronization purposes) must be of the same type as the physical memory you have already. But memory sticks often come in different sizes. I changed out my 4 x 2 GB sticks for 4 x 4 GB sticks, so I very rarely run low on physical memory. Memory comes in different speeds, too. Again as a matter of hardware compatibility, if you are ADDING memory sticks and you already have DDR3, you really need to be adding MORE of the DDR3 sticks. It is a matter of what the manufacturer recommends, but mixing DDR3 with any other type of memory usually doesn't work. Adding DDR4 sticks to a DDR2 backplane won't work either because the timing pulses will be all wrong.

3. Get a faster CPU

The last thing you can do is to look at CPU load on WTM. If your CPU has multiple processors, you will have measurements for each processor. If all of your processors are at or near 100% saturation most of the time, your problem is that the CPUs of your system cannot keep up with the workload. The only solution in that case is a faster CPU or one with more processors in it. If the motherboard will allow it, you can swap out the old chip. Not all motherboards allow that. CPUs these days are in the 3.5 GHz range, which means (on the average) 1 BILLION (yes, with a "B") instructions per second. Having multiple processors on the CPU chip just acts as a multiplier on how many instructions per second you can reach.

I have worked on an Itanium-based super-micro ("longhorn" chip) that had 8 processors x 64 bits, but was only about 1.6 GHz because of the bus architecture. Even so, I never had more than 2 out of 8 processors saturated during the busiest hour of prime shift - and never ran out of memory. My disks were on Fibre-Channel x 8 GHz so the only thing I EVER waited for was a specific disk to spin.

Prabha_friend, there is no way to answer your question directly. You will have to set up whatever it is that you want to do and measure how well your system does. Then go forward from there.
I would like to add that the suggestion "You will have to set up whatever it is that you want to do and measure how well your system does" requires a series of "before and after" tests only you can perform on your computer using your application and your data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom