What happened to Meritocracy? (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:18
The videos above demonstrate a process that has actually been going on (in the background) for 50+ years. In the early 70s, I took the Civil Service exam for federal employment. Soon after that the test was depreciated and a new instituted. I don't recall all the finer points of what happened. In general, from what I can remember, the old test was considered to discriminatory (elitist?) and the new test was implemented that would be broader based (diversity?). Additionally, rumblings were also emerging that college entrance exams, such as the SAT, were really exclusionary to certain groups of people and failed to provide and adequate basis for determining if a person should or should not be admitted to a college. Over the years the diminution of meritocracy for decision making has become progressively worse. Now, decisions are being made on issues unrelated to ability. As an extreme example Ketanji Brown, now a Supreme Court Justice, could not (refused?) to define what a woman was. Surprisingly, she is being hailed by the Democrats as the first Black female judge desipite the fact that there is no definition to what a woman is in the leftist lexicon. Fortunately, better late then never, we are seeing some people becoming more vocal at raising this issue.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When my daughter started junior high, she took up bowling. My husband and I hadn't bowled since we were kids so she'd never been to a bowling alley. Her first game was abysmal as you might expect. But her hand/eye coordination and general strength and fitness were/are excellent so she quickly got the hang if it. By the end of the school year, she had earned all the "top" scores. Most improved, highest average, highest single, highest triple and one other. The school wouldn't give her all the trophies but they did give her the top three.

So, since the scores were all public, did the kids who got the first place trophies that my daughter should have been awarded notice that they in fact came in second but still got the first place trophy and the kids that came in third got the second place trophy? What did they all learn from this?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Which reminds me of other efforts to "overlook" those who achieve that is currently a rage within this country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom