What is ‘Analyze Table’ (1 Viewer)

SachAccess

Local time
Today, 07:17
I was scrolling through MS Access Ribbon and found this feature.
Tried playing with this. Selected ‘No, I want to decide’ option. When I proceed, got a pop-up saying ‘You didn’t split your table. Please split it, or choose Cancel to exit the wizard’. I do not know, how to split the table and what will be impact of splitting the table.
Can anyone please help me understanding why table splitting is done and what analyzing table does.
I hope am not asking too basic questions. Apologies.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:47

An improperly designed table will repeat data. Instead the data should be stored once in another table. Then to display the related information you use a query to bring the two tables together. This is a fundamental principle of db design. The analyzer points this out.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
Can anyone please help me understanding why table splitting is done

Table splitting is done because you plan to share your database among users. The optimum way to do this is to split the single-file (a.k.a. monolithic) DB into two parts - a front-end (FE) and a back-end (BE). Then you place the BE file, which will contain tables and nothing else, into an area where your users can see it and interact with it - THROUGH THE FE. The FE contains all the Queries, Forms, Reports, Macros, and Modules; these are the elements of your DB that actually DO something. (Data by itself does nothing; it just sits there.)

We do this split so that we can distribute copies of the FE file to each user to run locally from their individual workstations. This optimizes the file locking situation, because in this split case, Access uses file locks to minimize user interference. But in the FE file (which has no data and is therefore unlikely to be updated during a session), all of the file locks are private. There can be no lock interference in the FE even if two users open (a copy of) the same form at the same time. If you actually allow users to share the FE directly rather than through a copy, you run into collisions when you open forms.

With this data split, most report-oriented objects open as SHARED READ (with respect to locking). The write operations are (a) brief and (b) done several disk buffers at a time, but NOT the whole file. So EXCLUSIVE WRITE locks only rarely experience a LOCK COLLISION (which is the origin of the error message RECORD LOCKED.) If you use Optimistic Locking on your queries, Access goes in, writes, and steps out again - VERY quickly. So you usually never see the actual interference because it occurs only for the briefest moment.

There is more to it than this, but it is a starting point for WHY you split DBs. You do it to minimize the effect of Windows-imposed file locks when you share the data of your database.

MajP

Local time
Here is a good example. First the employee name, first, last, mi is repeated in the table. This information is pulled out and then the tables are related by a Primary key

SachAccess

Local time
Table splitting is done because you plan to share your database among users. The optimum way to do this is to split the single-file (a.k.a. monolithic) DB into two parts - a front-end (FE) and a back-end (BE). Then you place the BE file, which will contain tables and nothing else, into an area where your users can see it and interact with it - THROUGH THE FE. The FE contains all the Queries, Forms, Reports, Macros, and Modules; these are the elements of your DB that actually DO something. (Data by itself does nothing; it just sits there.)

We do this split so that we can distribute copies of the FE file to each user to run locally from their individual workstations. This optimizes the file locking situation, because in this split case, Access uses file locks to minimize user interference. But in the FE file (which has no data and is therefore unlikely to be updated during a session), all of the file locks are private. There can be no lock interference in the FE even if two users open (a copy of) the same form at the same time. If you actually allow users to share the FE directly rather than through a copy, you run into collisions when you open forms.

With this data split, most report-oriented objects open as SHARED READ (with respect to locking). The write operations are (a) brief and (b) done several disk buffers at a time, but NOT the whole file. So EXCLUSIVE WRITE locks only rarely experience a LOCK COLLISION (which is the origin of the error message RECORD LOCKED.) If you use Optimistic Locking on your queries, Access goes in, writes, and steps out again - VERY quickly. So you usually never see the actual interference because it occurs only for the briefest moment.

There is more to it than this, but it is a starting point for WHY you split DBs. You do it to minimize the effect of Windows-imposed file locks when you share the data of your database.
Thanks a lot for detailed post.

Thanks lot for such a detailed post. About the 'lock' part from your post, Have just read as a theory.
With your post, getting the actual relevance of it.
Have a nice day ahead. :)

SachAccess

Local time
Here is a good example. First the employee name, first, last, mi is repeated in the table. This information is pulled out and then the tables are related by a Primary key
Thanks a lot for the help. :)

MajP

Local time
@SachAccess and @The_Doc_Man
There is some confusion here. There are two issues
Splitting a Table
Splitting a Database
To be clear these are entirely different issues. The original question deals with splitting a table as I addressed. That is what the table analyzer does. What the Doc Man is discussing is when you split the database with only tables in the "back end" and everything else (forms, reports, queries, code) in front ends.

You can use the wizard to split your database

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
OK, MajP, on re-read I see that the question is perhaps a LEETLE bit ambiguous. I answered the way I read it. But in light of your post #7, I see there is another interpretation of the question. But that's OK. SachAccess seemed satisfied with the answers anyway, so we did good.

SachAccess

Local time
OK, MajP, on re-read I see that the question is perhaps a LEETLE bit ambiguous. I answered the way I read it. But in light of your post #7, I see there is another interpretation of the question. But that's OK. SachAccess seemed satisfied with the answers anyway, so we did good.
Am more than satisfied. :)

SachAccess

Local time
@SachAccess and @The_Doc_Man
There is some confusion here. There are two issues
Splitting a Table
Splitting a Database
To be clear these are entirely different issues. The original question deals with splitting a table as I addressed. That is what the table analyzer does. What the Doc Man is discussing is when you split the database with only tables in the "back end" and everything else (forms, reports, queries, code) in front ends.

You can use the wizard to split your database
You are correct. I was using 'Table Analyzer'. Will re-read all the posts in some time to understand more. At present, at work. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom