What to do with Cds/DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:42
Coffee cup holders? :)

This morning, as I looked at my computer parts storage area, I once again wondered what to do with my pile of CDs and DVDs. Virtually everything that was once stored on a floppy drive, CD, and/or DVD is now being stored on USB flash drives. Don't even use the CD player in my car anymore. In the last year, I may have only burnt one or two DVDs, and I've still got a 100+ from several years ago. Still have 50 3.5" floppies, but no A: drive. Sigh :banghead:

So what to do? Send them to AOL?

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 09:42
I still have a couple of 8.25 inch floppies lying around.. !!!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You burnt a couple dvds? What's that like? I vaguely remember doing that! :D

I have a box full of cds and dvds that I have NO idea what to do with. Part of me is a pack rat that doesn't want to part with it, but I seriously have NO use for all of this. I know what you mean.

I still have a mint Commodore 64 with floppy drive attachment and a case full of games. :p

Vassago

Local time
But some of these things are so hard to find! lol

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:42
A friend glued CDs onto an old satellite dish and used it as a solar cooker.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:42
You burnt a couple dvds? What's that like? I vaguely remember doing that! :D

I have a box full of cds and dvds that I have NO idea what to do with. Part of me is a pack rat that doesn't want to part with it, but I seriously have NO use for all of this. I know what you mean.

I still have a mint Commodore 64 with floppy drive attachment and a case full of games. :p

I may have worked on one of those games (Sierra On-Line, adventure games). I helped modify the code so that the Commodore screen would have four lines of text at the bottom so that someone could type in the commands for the game (just like they were doing on the Apple II).

Old Man Devin

Consul Of Code
Local time
Today, 09:42
If you have any agriculture going on at your property, you can hang CDs/DVDs on string from trees. In my experience, the glinting of the light from them tends to prevent deer and the like from wanting to approach and start eating whatever it is you're growing. Probably works a little for birds too!

Vassago

Local time
I may have worked on one of those games (Sierra On-Line, adventure games). I helped modify the code so that the Commodore screen would have four lines of text at the bottom so that someone could type in the commands for the game (just like they were doing on the Apple II).

That's awesome.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Coffee cup holders? :)

This morning, as I looked at my computer parts storage area, I once again wondered what to do with my pile of CDs and DVDs. Virtually everything that was once stored on a floppy drive, CD, and/or DVD is now being stored on USB flash drives. Don't even use the CD player in my car anymore. In the last year, I may have only burnt one or two DVDs, and I've still got a 100+ from several years ago. Still have 50 3.5" floppies, but no A: drive. Sigh :banghead:

So what to do? Send them to AOL?

Would you believe that the laptop I am currently using has absolutely no CD drive? I was astounded to find this out when I wanted to install Office and went to order it online.... I looked at my new laptop and..... where?.....where?.... HOLY CRAP what am I going to do now???? Oh.... yeah.... download it online. sigh. I feel ancient. And the postings on Facebook don't help by saying "Do you know what this is?" and they show you a picture of that little insert that you had to use to play 45s on a turntable made for... 78s? Is my memory correct on that language? You know... the BIG records. The albums! Anyway, YES! I remember them! I'm old. I was born the year the US Postal Service started using ZIP CODES! I remember Instamatic cameras too! And phones with cords, and TVs with rabbit ears and aluminum foil, and the bright light switch on the floorboard of the driver's side where there is now a footrest in nice cars, and the Betamax, and Xerox machine and the Dewey Decimal system and card catalogs! I remember! And in a few years I will remember the PC before it was replaced by the laptop which will be replaced by the tablet or a really large PHONE!

And HEY! I turned 50 this year... where was my happy birthday thread Vass? :) Nice to see you. Oh, hey the company that bought MY company is headquartered in Jax. I opted not to relocate and change my entire life instead. Mid life crisis is awesome! :)

Teresa P

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
.... I remember! And in a few years I will remember the PC before it was replaced by the laptop which will be replaced by the tablet or a really large PHONE!
Which reminds me, the cell phone is actually obsolete if you think about it. Like the death throw twitching of the FAX, the cell phone just does not know it yet. Amazing how "dead" technologies can just putter along because people don't realize what a new technology can do.

With my android tablet I can video chat with my daughters, without any need for a cell phone. Of course, there is the little itty bitty issue of the wireless internet connection. Once there are enough "hot spots", to assure an internet connection, no need for a cell phone.

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
Once there are enough "hot spots", to assure an internet connection, no need for a cell phone.

Eh, pagers still exist (used almost exclusively by doctors?) because they're more reliable than cell phones and the whole SMS network, as well as Internet connectivity.

Mobile devices (under the guise of "smartphones") and the ever-improving CDMA/GSM/LTE networks won't be going away any time, if only because getting 40Mbps on an LTE connection beats public WiFi hotspots any day. Nowadays, you can get MIMO Mobile Network cards on tablets, which makes them connectivity rivals of smartphones.

However, the portability of smartphones is a huge added bonus that will keep them in the running for a long time. Some of us still use phones for audio-only calls, which aren't terribly feasible on a tablet. Additionally, carrying a 7" tablet in my pocket feels very bulky. I currently have the LG G2, which is quite large for a phone, but is small enough to carry around with no issue.

Portability is going to keep smartphones and phablets in play for a while (at least, until PAN wearables synced to Mobile Network-connected tablets become the standard)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom