What's for dinner? Bugs! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:06
I stumbled across a rather unusual cookery channel yesterday. Grubs, bugs, crickets, rats, spiders and other such delicacies are on the menu. I thought these people must be very poor, but apparently in Thailand they are a delicacy!

I've had snails and frogs legs while in France, but that is about as far as it goes.

What have you eaten that is a little out of the ordinary. What would you be prepared to eat?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I've had snails, ostrich, hare, goat, baby octopus as part of a seafood salad, once available from Waitrose but now discontinued. Waitrose currently do pickled herring in a sweet piquant marinade, very nice!

Raw mushrooms with a dip.

Lemons pickled in brine, surprisingly nice...

Spanish chickpeas (garbanzos) they are wonderful flavoursome tender not like the UK tinned variety which are hard lumps of yuck!

I've recently found a shop in Basingstoke that supplies garbanzos!

I've also had herring raw, straight from the sea in Holland, whilst visiting a friend there. It was served in a disposable tray, with chopped onion and a disposable wooden fork.

When in Spain, I have Sepia, which is cuttlefish. I have found several sources of this in the UK, including the Basingstoke shop mentioned above.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jon

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:06
The closest I ever got to unusual food is alligator. Pretty bland.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The closest I ever got to unusual food is alligator. Pretty bland.

Your comment reminds me that I would describe Ostrich as bland.

It's like lean steak in texture, but no where near as flavoursome. I'd prefer a steak any day ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom