What's the best way to... (1 Viewer)

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
Today, 21:46
Here's my problem.

There is a need for me to know when certain records have been updated as I need to update some tables in MapExplorer (I figured it would be too tricky to get MapExplorer to link to my db). I thought that I could maybe email myself (or something) via code on an after update event on my contacts form. My other half suggested that the best way to do it would be to export the record to a new table, and I check it every so often so I can then update ME.
Is this the best way to go? And if so, how do I do it? I will only need to do this for a certain type of contact (member). Also, when the member gets voted out, users just type over the old members' details (as the area they cover stays the same, and this avoids duplication). So I would have to take this into account, as well as if a new member is added (say if a new area is created). Then once I have matched this criteria, I create a table. So I suppose I need a query.
Sounds a bit lengthy to me. So if anyone has any better suggestions than this, please let me know.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it is very rare for my brain to work at full capacity on a Monday...
:rolleyes:

Fizzio

Chief Torturer
Local time
I have no experience with MapExplorer but to track changes to your records, you can add a couple of fields to your table to track when the record was created and when it was changed, using code such as

Form_Current()
if me.newrecord then
me.txtDateCreated = Now()
end if

and if it changes

Form_Dirty()
Me.txtDateChanged = Now()

You can then just use a select query to select the records updated eg since yesterday, and use the docmd.sendobject to email the query to yourself

Any help?

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
Thanks for that Fizzio - that should do the job, and seems the easiest way. Completely forgotten about the 'Form_Dirty()' stuff. Dirrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom