When is "debug/<databasename> compile" option available or not grayed out? (1 Viewer)

killerflappy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:12
When is "debug/<databasename> compile" option available or not grayed out?

Yesterday a critical access-file crashed. The tables where ok, but all the VBA code where gone. Also after using the “database repair and compress” the VBA code wasn’t available.
I think this has to do with my latest added VBA code. So I used a backup from before adding this code and copy the up-to-date tables to it. Now it seems to work fine.
I’m worried that this will happen again because I can’t find the excast cause.
Something I don’t understand. After using the access-file for a day (without adding VBA-code), the option “debug/<databasename> compile” isn’t grayed out anymore. Is this normal?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Re: When is "debug/<databasename> compile" option available or not grayed out?

After using the access-file for a day (without adding VBA-code), the option “debug/<databasename> compile” isn’t grayed out anymore. Is this normal?
Did you make other changes to the design of forms and/or reports? Then this is perfectly normal. Many changes to the design of objects will require a compile afterwards.

If you were just working as a user with the database, this should not happen.
I would recommend to distribute any project as a compile accde file to users. This cannot be in a non-compiled state.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:12

The compile option is disabled when the database is fully compiled.
As sonic8 has already said any code changes and many design changes will mean it is no longer fully compiled - even one such change is enough.

killerflappy

Registered User.
Local time

Thanks guys.

There is certainly no VBA code added. It should have to do with the design. Some table-designs are edited with the VBA code.

Can it do any harm to leave it like this? Or can it break the database if I leave it uncompiled?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:12

No harm leaving it but I would recommend compiling on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom