sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
Today, 10:22
Windows 10 x64
MS Office 365 x32
On Prem Azure billing SQL Server 2016 x64 version 13.0.5882.1

the latest SQL Server update patches require the use of the latest ODBC driver

I loaded the SQL Server 2017 x64 version to my laptop, but I am still getting some weird errors when MS Access queries the tables.

Any opinions on which ODBC driver would best operate in my current environment?

The IT technical side is researching, but not their top priority. .

Thanks for any experiential help
sportsguy

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
That's the same one I am using and I Ioaded the x64 for my configuration, the question is now x32 or x64 works better with O365 x32? Have any opinions?

thanks in advance sportsguy

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:22
The driver should be 64 bit if you have a 64 bit machine, your "bitness" of office makes no odds.

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
actually i am on 2017.178.01.01 and the errors are several, even changing the where/ filter on the query, and at rerun ODBC says that the link is irretrievably broken

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
That sounds a bit weird.
Have you definitely got a primary key field identified on every linked table?

How are you defining the table connections or are you re-linking them in some way?

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
on the server, every table has a primary key, i am the admin the SQL Server, and all has been running fine, until the latest patches applied over the weekend to SQL Server 2016 in the data center. The server has the updated ODBC and matches my laptop version . . . .

going through the standard link table to server method which has worked for the last three years to the server. Am now thinking we need to update to the SQL server 2019 VM, and didn't see the sql server section, where this should be posted. Others are reporting similar issues.

thanks!

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:22
The driver should be 64 bit if you have a 64 bit machine, your "bitness" of office makes no odds.
It's the other way round. The bitness of the process using the driver is the only thing that mattes. In this case this is the bitness of Office.

and the errors are several, even changing the where/ filter on the query, and at rerun ODBC says that the link is irretrievably broken
Can you please quote exact error messages? "link is irretrievably broken" is not an error message I (or Google) ever heard of.

Others are reporting similar issues.
Any reference?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:22
Wow talk about confusing - I've just read this
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/connect/odbc-tool-displays-32-bit-64-bit

If anyone else is enlightened by that I'd like to give them a doughnut.
Yikes!
I know what they are trying to say, so I sort of understand it. For someone not knowing about the issues beforehand, it's probably as enlightening as emptying a bottle of vodka at once.

Quick summary:
  • You need an ODBC driver matching the bitness of the application that is supposed to use it.
  • When managing ODBC DSNs, best use the ODBC Admin tool matching the bitness of the driver and application:
    • %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe is for 32bit drivers/applications, where as
    • %windir%\System32\odbcad32.exe is for 64bit drivers/applications. (I know, this looks mixed up on first glance. - It isn't!)
  • If possible, include the bitness of the driver in the name of the DSN to avoid confusion.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom