Why I never use Slider Controls (1 Viewer)

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:23
I used a couple of Slider controls on my Switchboard. There are instructions about them here:

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/flashfiles/AccessSlider.html

They look great and seem great too. THEY'RE NO GOOD!

Earlier today, I created an .mde (2003 version) file and ran it on a machine with Runtime 2007

I got
"The Expression On Current you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events"

Over and over again I got the error, except instead of On Current, the error was; MouseMove, MouseDown, Scroll, Event Change

I delete the Sliders and the problem went away.

I would apreciate Ideas how I might prevent this problem and keep my Sliders, since next thing I have to do is find a way to change a TextBox value without a Slider - typing it in will, of course, work - but it's not slick like a slider.

It'd really cheer me up to Post - Why I always use Sliders

Thanks chaps
Thanks in advance

Estuardo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:23
G'd evening Steve,
At one point or another we all had faced the same situation. In some cases you can solve it and some others don't.
As you know when you add any foreign control to access you do it by picking one from the ActiveX controls' list or by manually adding a reference. In both cases a reference is added.

If you have control over the target pc where your FE will run then you can easily use the (in)famous autoexec macro to run a function which in turn will add the necessary references to your project.
If you don't know the system and has no control over, you better stay away from add those controls to your project or be ready to build a whole module just for this very purpose.
G'd luck

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:23
The reason most experienced developers will tell you to stay away from ActiveX Controls is that the one that works fine for VersionX of Access will almost never work for VersionY of Access and certainly not for VersionZ! Simply put, different versions of Access require different versions of a given ActiveX Control, and you're running a version 2003 mdb file under version 2007 Runtime.

Not sure a business app, such as a Database, is supposed to be 'slick,' like a webpage or a video game; always thought their prime purpose was to be functional! But perhaps if you could give us a hint as to what type of Field/Control you're using the sliders on/for, we could offer some suggestions. I have a hack, for instance, for using the Up and Down Arrows to increment/decrement the value of a Numeric Field.

Linq ;0)>

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:23
Steve.

As others have said, it is not a good idea to rely on what appears to be the easy way to do things. Mostly they do work for a while but, if they do go wrong, they can be impossible to fix because you will not have the source code.

You can try this Access/VBA Slider if you wish…
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=225855

First check if it works under your circumstances. If it does then you can modify the Sliders appearance in VBA.

Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom