Why is my text field's recordset not updateable? (1 Viewer)

Sampoline

Local time
Today, 15:51
I have a main form (frmFileMetdata) that uses a query (qryFileMetadata) as it's recordsource. This query is simply two tables with a foreign key that matches the tables together.

In my form, I have a button (that is supposed to open a file using the UNC path of that file (from one of the two tables from that query above). My form is a split form so that I can click on any line (which will have the file and image path) and the button ('Open File') should open that file up. The button will also populate the time started text box field from when the user clicks the button.. the code reads as below:

Code:
Private Sub btn_OpenImage()

Dim errorMSG, errorTITLE As String

If Dir(Forms!frmFileMetadata!txtUNCPath) = "" Then

WarningImageNotFoundMsg = "The File was not found. Please check this file exists in the location provided manually:" & Chr(13) & Chr(13)

WarningImageNotFoundMsg = WarningImageNotFoundMsg & Forms!frmFileMetadata!txtUNCPath

MsgBox WarningImageNotFoundMsg

Else
            If IsNull(Forms!frmFileMetadata!datFileDateTimeStarted) Then

Forms!frmFileMetadata!datFileDateTimeStarted = Now()

Now if I didn't have the text field, the button works perfectly.. it opens up the selected file. But with the text field there, I receive a run-time error 3326: "The Recordset is not updateable"

What are some potential reason why I could be receiving this error? My PK's are on both tables in my query, FK's are fine, they query itself works when I run it. Still not able to understand why the recordset is not updating. Any suggestions?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 01:51
they query itself works when I run it.
You say it runs, but is it updateable? Can you post the sql anyways even though you already said it is a simple parent to child query on 2 tables. I assume the txtbox is bound to a field and not calculated?

Sampoline

Local time
You say it runs, but is it updateable? Can you post the sql anyways even though you already said it is a simple parent to child query on 2 tables. I assume the txtbox is bound to a field and not calculated?
That's a good question. I hadn't really considered that. Sorry I'm an inexperienced user to Access.

I tried to recreate everything, so I've changed my table and text field names btw.

Here is the SQL:

Code:
SELECT tblCallNoFormula.CallID, tblCallNoFormula.FName, tblCallNoFormula.FPath, tblCallNoFormula.FDateCreated, tblCallNoFormula.FDateLastModified, tblContentListing.ContentID, tblContentListing.[PM NAME], tblContentListing.[CM NAME], tblContentListing.txt_Comments, tblContentListing.txt_Audit_User_Name, tblContentListing.txt_Audit_Computer_Name, tblContentListing.dat_Audit_Date_Time_Started, tblContentListing.dat_Audit_Date_Time_Finished, tblContentListing.b_Audit_Completed, tblContentListing.txt_Audit_Outcomes, tblContentListing.txt_Audit_Comments

FROM tblCallNoFormula INNER JOIN tblContentListing ON tblCallNoFormula.CallNoWithSequence = tblContentListing.[CALL NO];

I can see there is no updating going, how would I write that in? Thanks.

Last edited:

MajP

Local time
So both tables have a PK which is good, but you join from two keys that are not PKs. You can set Inconsistent updates and I believe you can also index a field in the join and that will also work. In the below image I did a join without a PK. I set Recordset type to inconsistent and I could update.
inconsistent.jpg

I went back and applying an index was not sufficient. I need to add an index and make it unique as well but jus on one side.

Last edited:

MajP

Local time
FYI, there are a few free sites that can format your SQL strings when posting
Code:
SELECT tblcallnoformula.callid,
       tblcallnoformula.fname,
       tblcallnoformula.fpath,
       tblcallnoformula.fdatecreated,
       tblcallnoformula.fdatelastmodified,
       tblcontentlisting.contentid,
       tblcontentlisting.[pm name],
       tblcontentlisting.[cm name],
       tblcontentlisting.txt_comments,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_user_name,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_computer_name,
       tblcontentlisting.dat_audit_date_time_started,
       tblcontentlisting.dat_audit_date_time_finished,
       tblcontentlisting.b_audit_completed,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_outcomes,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_comments
FROM   tblcallnoformula
       INNER JOIN tblcontentlisting
               ON tblcallnoformula.callnowithsequence =
                  tblcontentlisting.[call no];
I use this

Sampoline

Local time
So both tables have a PK which is good, but you join from two keys that are not PKs. You can set Inconsistent updates and I believe you can also index a field in the join and that will also work. In the below image I did a join without a PK. I set Recordset type to inconsistent and I could update.
View attachment 88876
I went back and applying an index was not sufficient. I need to add an index and make it unique as well but jus on one side.
FYI, there are a few free sites that can format your SQL strings when posting
Code:
SELECT tblcallnoformula.callid,
       tblcallnoformula.fname,
       tblcallnoformula.fpath,
       tblcallnoformula.fdatecreated,
       tblcallnoformula.fdatelastmodified,
       tblcontentlisting.contentid,
       tblcontentlisting.[pm name],
       tblcontentlisting.[cm name],
       tblcontentlisting.txt_comments,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_user_name,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_computer_name,
       tblcontentlisting.dat_audit_date_time_started,
       tblcontentlisting.dat_audit_date_time_finished,
       tblcontentlisting.b_audit_completed,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_outcomes,
       tblcontentlisting.txt_audit_comments
FROM   tblcallnoformula
       INNER JOIN tblcontentlisting
               ON tblcallnoformula.callnowithsequence =
I use this
Hi Maj,

Thanks for the SQL format strings tip! I'll use that in the future.

And in regards to your solution, so I tried using Inconsistent Updates but all that did was remove some fields from my query when I ran it and even then it was still giving me a recordset is not updateable error. And sorry I didn't pick up on the unique index you made? Are mine not correct or were you suggesting something else? Thanks.

MajP

Local time
You are joining on these two fields
callnowithsequence

Can you go into the table view for these tables and index these two fields? In either table is the number not repeated (unique)? If you can make that a unique index and should be updateable. It may not be so.

In my example RangeStart is not a PK but I indexed it and it is unique. This allowed the join to be updateable
index2.jpg

Sampoline

Local time
You are joining on these two fields
callnowithsequence

Can you go into the table view for these tables and index these two fields? In either table is the number not repeated (unique)? If you can make that a unique index and should be updateable. It may not be so.

In my example RangeStart is not a PK but I indexed it and it is unique. This allowed the join to be updateable
View attachment 88882
So in saying this, if I have data that are duplicates in the fields:
callnowithsequence

Then I will receive an error that recordset is not updateable?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:51
use Left Join instead of Inner Join.

Sampoline

Local time
use Left Join instead of Inner Join.
Hi Arnell, I tried this but I still receive the recordset not updateable error. Like I mentioned above, if there are duplicates in my data for either FK fields then will this cause this issue?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:51
Here is a list of reasons why a given recordset would not be updatable:

Allen Browne's articles are usually pure gold and this one is no exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom