Why won't my code work (1 Viewer)

geoffcodd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:00
I have the following code but it just won't work

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO CBUDPresG ( Utility_Type, Month, Period, SumOfCost" & _
"SELECT [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Utility_Type, [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Period AS Month, Format(DateAdd("d",7,[Date_TaxPoint]),"yyyymm") AS Period, Sum([Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Cost) AS SumOfCost" & _
"FROM [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)]" & _
"GROUP BY [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Utility_Type, [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Period, Format(DateAdd("d",7,[Date_TaxPoint]),"yyyymm")" & _
"ORDER BY [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Utility_Type, Format(DateAdd("d",7,[Date_TaxPoint]),"yyyymm");"

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Geoff

Tim K.

Registered User.
Local time
You typed in the code or you cut and pasted?

You'll need space at the end of each SQL line and I prefer Execute method to the one you use.

Code:
Dim dbs As Database
Set dbs = CurrentDb

dbs.Execute "INSERT INTO CBUDPresG ( Utility_Type, Month, Period, SumOfCost " & _ 
"SELECT [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Utility_Type, [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Period AS Month, " & _
"Format(DateAdd("d",7,[Date_TaxPoint]),"yyyymm") AS Period, Sum([Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Cost) AS SumOfCost " & _ 
"FROM [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)] " & _ 
"GROUP BY [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Utility_Type, " & _
"[Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Period, Format(DateAdd("d",7,[Date_TaxPoint]),"yyyymm") " & _ 
"ORDER BY [Central_Budget_Utilities_Data_(Present)].Utility_Type, Format(DateAdd("d",7,[Date_TaxPoint]),"yyyymm");"

dbs.Close
set dbs = Nothing

Last edited:

geoffcodd

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Tim,

I cut and pasted the sql, now I get a syntax error

Any Ideas

Thanks
Geoff

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
There is a known bug with the way that Access handles Access SQL queries. Did you change the SQL after pasting it? If so you can't do that. Instead paste the SQL into a Notepad document, make your changes there, then paste into the query.

Autoeng

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom