Win10 / ico png (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 09:45
PNG's don't work on my desktop, only ICO's. Difficult to find free ICO's. Lots of PNG's out there so they must work for some people. What am I doing wrong?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:45
Are we talking about shortcut icons?
You can find plenty of images if you try and change an icon for an existing shortcut.?

Eg mine are located at %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll

No doubt other dlls will have more images.?

HTH

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Are we talking about shortcut icons?
You can find plenty of images if you try and change an icon for an existing shortcut.?

Eg mine are located at %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll

No doubt other dlls will have more images.?

HTH
Yes icons for short cuts. I wasn't aware icons are used anywhere else. For my education where else are ICO icons used. Are PNG's used for Short cut? I guess I was also ignorant about icons in my system. When I click change Icon on a short cut on my desktop it brings up a list that is in the system, but whatever it brings up, I thought that was all there was. Most time they are not what I want. I then go to brows and go to a list on my hard drive that I have download over time. If I still can’t find what I want I go to the net. I also didn't explain what I meant about searching for ICO icons. By searching I meant go on the net, (not my system) while I am looking for a special type of picture for an icon. I bought a program once that was supposed to turn any picture into a ico, but it didn’t work.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I'm not even sure what type those graphics are in the dll, just that they called icons.
This link offers to convert online if you have a very special picture you want to use.? https://www.zamzar.com/convert/png-to-ico/
IrfanView will convert as well

I'd Google for dll files for icons as well?

HTH

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I'm not even sure what type those graphics are in the dll, just that they called icons.
This link offers to convert online if you have a very special picture you want to use.? https://www.zamzar.com/convert/png-to-ico/
IrfanView will convert as well

I'd Google for dll files for icons as well?

HTH
converter didn't work. I am sure it's something I am doing wrong. It supposedly converted it but when I tried to use it on my desk top Win would not accept it. Thanks for trying. dll not my bag. I stay away from system. Scares me to death. Again, thanks for trying

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Dick,
I just tried a png I had to hand for that online site and it worked for me?

Attachments

• links.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 155

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick,
I just tried a png I had to hand for that online site and it worked for me?
Did you use it as a icon on your desktop and are using Win 10. The online site said it converted the PNG to ICO but my Win 10 would not accept it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, I used it for a pdf file on my desktop. As you can see that is not a pdf icon. I am also on win10 2004
1604666268902.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Let me try that. How do you put a pdf file on desk top?
I didn't. I just created a shortcut and picked a file (happened to be a pdf file) from my temp folder. Then I used the Change Icon button to locate that converted ico file and selected that.

However Desktop is just a folder, so you can copy anything to it. However be aware, if your are used to deleting what are normally shotcuts, you can come a cropper if you delete the icon, which is in fact the actual file, so I tend to stick to shortcuts. the arrow will indicate a shortcut.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Let me try that. How do you put a pdf file on desk top?
My Desk top Total Mess
I didn't. I just created a shortcut and picked a file (happened to be a pdf file) from my temp folder. Then I used the Change Icon button to locate that converted ico file and selected that.

However Desktop is just a folder, so you can copy anything to it. However be aware, if your are used to deleting what are normally shotcuts, you can come a cropper if you delete the icon, which is in fact the actual file, so I tend to stick to shortcuts. the arrow will indicate a shortcut.
good advise

Attachments

• MyDeskTop2.zip
    220.9 KB · Views: 170

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I think you have some catching up to do? :D

1604674143006.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom