Windows 10 slow start up (1 Viewer)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 05:30
Is it just me, or has anyone else experienced major speed issues after installing the numerous recent Microsoft Windows10 updates. Maybe in an
attempt to encourage us to upgrade to Windows11?

Later last year and earlier this year Windows10 updates appeared to provide a really brisk loading time. But from April to date it has become really bad.
I've gone from around a minute from entering the password to well over five minutes before it is ready to use.
Once Windows has loaded everything is normal and no other speed issues.

Windows updates have been the only software update/changes on the PC.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:30
I have noticed a slight slowdown, but not to the five-minute level. Maybe a minute and a half.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:30
I use Windows 11 but I suspect it has to due with cumulative updates from Microsoft.

1652369230252.png

Microsoft is gearing up for a new version release 22H2, at that point I will just reimage my drive with the latest .iso

emmawaston79

Local time
Today, 10:30
Is it just me, or has anyone else experienced major speed issues after installing the numerous recent Microsoft Windows10 updates. Maybe in an
attempt to encourage us to upgrade to Windows11?

Later last year and earlier this year Windows10 updates appeared to provide a really brisk loading time. But from April to date it has become really bad.
I've gone from around a minute from entering the password to well over five minutes before it is ready to use.
Once Windows has loaded everything is normal and no other speed issues.

Windows updates have been the only software update/changes on the PC.
Yeah, I've noticed this problem because my computer is slow when I'm at the office. I have to wait for the update to finish before I can get back to work.

Cotswold

Local time
My WIn10 PC start-up just goes slower and slower from switch-on. Really bad now way, way beyond 5 minutes. Once it is running there is no issue with speed at all, everything normal.

So bad that I've bought a new Win11 PC with Win11 Pro with an SSD. Really fast on start-up and with less memory. From switch on, entering PW and using it less than 15 seconds. So I switch both on, use the Win11 PC then switch to the Win10 for development work when it is up and running as I'm running Access 32bit on that and Acces64 on the Win11 PC. The Win10 PC doesn't go online much now and will invariably boot without internet access. Mind you the Win11 PC I'll also boot without internet access, only switching on when needed.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Only 5 minutes!
My 12 year old desktop used for development work takes a bit longer than that to boot up and my 9 year old laptop takes around 15 minutes.
Both are absolutely fine once up & running.

Unsurprisingly nether can be updated to Win 11...though that doesn't bother me at all 🙄

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
So why not see what is in startup? I dare say I could disable some of them as well.
Here is mine
1662307909377.png

1662307939556.png

And I am now using Win10 Home with an i7 with 12GB RAM
1662308006778.png

Quite nippy. :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Paul.
If that was directed at me, my startup apps are already stripped to the bare minimum.
Nothing like the number you have!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hi Paul.
If that was directed at me, my startup apps are already stripped to the bare minimum.
Nothing like the number you have!
No, the O/P or anyone else with the same issue.
TBH I did not realise there were as many as there are. :)

This is my old works laptop. My personal laptop had serious issues which I could not fix and retain my programs, so I took the opportunity to spring clean and move what I currently use to this laptop, and leave the old one there in case I needed any old programs.
Old laptop is about 10 years old and full of stuff in that 10 years.

Cotswold

Local time
Only 5 minutes!
My 12 year old desktop used for development work takes a bit longer than that to boot up and my 9 year old laptop takes around 15 minutes.
Both are absolutely fine once up & running.

Unsurprisingly nether can be updated to Win 11...though that doesn't bother me at all 🙄
I've just timed mine and it is 9 minutes. The PC was new in 2015 and a reasonable spec but also won't upgrade to Win11.

Have to say also, that the number of programs that Gasman has, I wouldn't tolerate. I'd disable virtually everything except Windows Security Notifications, with maybe a few exceptions. I also have the intrusive stuff like Inking switched off in Windows. In Processes I'll often stop stuff like Microsoft Click to Run and other update stuff once it has started up and I check out just what is running. I can get a bit paranoid about what some of the stuff is actually about, particularly with the way things are moving today online. "We value your privacy" actually means; we will take whatever we want to from your computer and care little for your privacy if we think we can sell it. CAPTCHA is basically a spy system that provides Google and others to check out your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom