Wired and Wireless internet together? (1 Viewer)

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:45
Hi,

My desktop PC is connected to the internet via USB to a cable modem. Apparently I should have been using an ethernet cable but I tried that a couple of times and it never seemed to work so I stuck with USB and it was fine.

Now I've bought a wireless laptop and I got a Netgear wireless router from Virgin Media (my ISP). I plugged in all the cables as directed, ran the CD-ROM and everything worked OK on my laptop. Strong signal, fast connection, everything good.

But I still need to connect my desktop PC to the internet too. It's not wireless enabled and I really don't want to bother with that as the modem (and now the router) sits right on my desk.

Can I use BOTH connections from my modem? i.e.
1.Ethernet port to wireless router for my laptop
AND
2. USB to my desktop

I've tried it but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried my other ethernet cable again, connecting my router to my desktop PC, but that doesn't work either.

If I don't have the USB connected to the modem, then my Network Connections folder does not show any Local Area Connection. If I plug it back in, it reappears. However if my USB is plugged into the modem, I don't seem able to get a wireless connection, and the "internet" light on the router glows orange instead of red. Maybe these cables should NOT be used together as they are interfering with each other?

My ISP's helpdesk weren't much help. The guy seemed unable to comprehend that my old PC was working fine with USB and cable modem and kept telling me I should be using ethernet. At least I think that's what he was saying. His accent made it difficult to distinguish between "internet" and "ethernet"

I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

Pat.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Pat

Firstly I don't have extensive knowledge of this sort of thing.

What model modem and router do you have?

If your ISP sent you a router then I would expect it to be a DSL router (I can't imagine they would just send you a router) and in that case you can put the modem in the bin and just use the router (well maybe keep it in a drawer for a rainy day) .

Assuming a DSL router then connect using ethernet. You need to switch off the auto-dialup connection on your PC (internet properties->connections->never dial a conection). Your router should detect and communicate with your PC without loading any stuff from the CD or any special configuration.

You can test if your PC is connected to your router ok:
- first check your ethernet port on the PC has a flashing light and the router is showing a green light for that port.
- on your laptop open internet explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar (this shows you the routers options)
- enter the id and password (default is "admin" and "password" although you'd be advised to change this)
- take a look through the menu options. One will show you PCs connected.

As I say my knowlegde is limited :eek:

hth
Chris

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Chris,

The modem is an ntl cable modem (from before Virgin Media took them over) A label on the bottom says Model No E08C007 if that means anything to you. There's another label that says "ntl recommend that you should use the Ethernet connection (light blue cable) if it is supported by your Computer". However, this ethernet cable has never worked for me and the USB cable which goes in the next slot along has always worked fine, though it uses up one of only four USB slots I have on this PC. So I've always stuck with that.

The router is a Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614 v9. I'm pretty sure it's not a modem too because the diagram says I need to leave the modem connected to the outside line (which is cable, remember, not a phone line). Then...
Disconnect the cable that connects the modem to the PC *
Connect the router to the modem using the supplied ethernet cable.
Then proceed to set up the network, name, password etc.

That all worked fine, like I said. My wireless network is up and running and my laptop is picking it up loud and clear.

*So, back to that cable I disconnected. Assuming they told me to disconnect that because they thought I wanted to use wireless on THIS computer (I can't - it's not wireless enabled), I left everything else connected as it was and RE-connected that USB cable.

But that seems to cause the internet light on the router to glow orange rather than green and means the laptop won't connect (though oddly enough my kids in the next room can still connect their Wii via the wireless network.)

If I disconnect it again, then my laptop WILL pick up the network, after that router light turns green again.

Assuming therefore that I can't use both the USB cable to my old PC and the ethernet cable to my router at the same time, I tried my other ethernet cable again (the one that would never work for me before), connecting it from the router directly to the back of the old PC. I figured that maybe two ethernet cables would work in serial like this.

I just realised I'm going over old ground here. I'm using two different forums and forgot I'd more or less told you this part already.

But no joy. I've come across something on another thread that mentions having to "enable" my ethernet connection (presumably on the old PC) but it was a bit vague. Do you know how I would go about that?

"Never dial a connection" is already set in Internet Options.
My ethernet port does NOT have a flashing light (or even a dead light that I can see). This is a Dell Dimension C521 aprox 4 years old. I'm sure that's the right port. It's the only place I can plug in the ethernet cable. Should it have a light, i.e. does that mean I really DO have to enable it (somehow)?

Anyway, at this stage, in frustration, I have run System Restore on BOTH computers so I'm back to my situation as at Friday night and I'm ready to begin again. Just going to research things for another day or two before I dive in again, though.

Thanks again for your help and do come back to me with more suggestions. Anyone else? Feel free to butt in here. Amateur at large!!

Pat.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
You're right, the netgear is a wireless router only.

I had a BT modem and I could only use USB or ethernet - not both.

The fact that you can use your laptop through your netgear router suggests you have the router and modem working together correctly. My suspicion is the connection between your PC and the router.

As previously mentioned, when you connect a PC to the router you should see the relevant number light up on the front of the router (1,2,3,4, depending on which port you plugged in to) an you should also see flashing lights on the port on the PC (these often don't look like lights until they are lit). If you are not getting lights then something is wrong with this connection. I would say it's down to one of:
- the cable
- the NIC (network interface card) driver
- the NIC on your computer
- the network port may need to be switched on (via your BIOS)

So check the cable first by swapping out (or try connecting your laptop via the cable to the router)

Then check the driver is working on your PC (see the Network Adaptors in your System Device settings).

hth
Chris

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
If you're on NTL cable, you don't need an ADSL modem router - just the cable modem, or cable modem+ordinary router if you want to connect more than one PC.

The cable modem alone will probably not support more than one PC at a time, or more than one connection method (USB/Ethernet) at a time.

The cable modem will look at the MAC address of the PC it's attached to though - and if you unplug the PC from it and connect the router, it probably won't work straight away - you need to turn it all off, wait a minute, then turn it back on again, so that the cable modem accepts the MAC address of the router.

So...

Cable Modem>wall
Router>Cable Modem (via ethernet)
Wireless PCs>Router (via secure WiFi)
Non-wireless PCs>Router (via ethernet)

Stopher is on the money with the possibilities for things that need enabling. What version of what operating system are you using on the computer?

laptopfan76

Local time
Today, 15:45
Hi Pat,

You can have wireless and wired internet. If you have a netgear wireless router then there are normally 3-4 ports at the back of the router. If you plug in a ethernet cable into one of these router ports and the other end into your PC then you should get a working connection.

Have you already tried this approach?

Matthew
HP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom