Wireless Networking (1 Viewer)

DavidRS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:20
Anyone help?

Does it matter which wireless network adapter I get if I want to set up a wireless network at home?

I've got the Wanadoo Livebox after upgrading my existing Wanadoo service. The Livebox is wireless capable and I want to make use of the functionality. Also, which is the best adapter to get?

TIA

Cheers
:confused:

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:50
Go for 802.11G (54Mb) speed. Also known as 54G.
108UltraG is the same but I think uses 2 channels simultaneously (if both ends support it).

Make sure it can support WPA security (in fact, WPA2 is the new one).
The older security scheme, WEP, can now be cracked in minutes (or was it seconds?)

Both the adaptor & access point need to support the protocol to be able to use it. I don't know what the LiveBox supports.

DavidRS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:20
Adeptus

Thanks for the info. I eventually found out that the Livebox is 802.11g so I guess I'll go for one of the cards that support that Are there any good cards/who should I avoid?

Cheers & TIA

David:)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 15:20
All adapters are virtually identical. There isn't much difference between them in terms of operation or support. If you get a usb adapter, make sure it's strong and sturdy as they tend to break easier. If you get pci, make sure the antenna is strong and doesn't feel cheap.

laptopfan76

Local time
Today, 12:20
Most wireless adapters will work with any wireless network. It's worth investing in a high quality adapter just in case you do have any problems and need support.

Matthew
HP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom